Paycheck again at 71?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I replaced a lot of EVAP canisters back in the day. Every time you'd pull them out and you could hear the gas sloshing around in them. The customers would try and top off their gas tank as full as they could, not realizing the extra fuel was dribbling into the charcoal canister.
Three things: There was no way that I was gonna dig down to that charcoal cannister and not replace it, the codes that I originally pulled up over 3 months ago had not been addressed over that time and she drove that vehicle daily and when I did disconnect the cannister and removed it you could hear a slight sloshing sound and was heavier than the new one. You could easily feel the difference. She was hopeful that I would replace just the ESIM because it was easily removeable for separate replacement and I had it there, along with the cannister/ESIM. Then I showed her what I just said and also showed her where the OE part at the dealer was over $300 and with my discount, I got the OE part for $132 from AZ. She said she had asked around, obviously double checking what I had told her 3 months ago, and said that other people recommended replacing the gas cap and see what happens. I then reminded her two things: I had mentioned the gas cap before and found that her vehicle did not have a gas cap and the fuel fill opening cover was what sealed when closed and also that the codes were related to a small leak and not a large leak and that the classic problem was ESIM and purge valve related.

I then reminded her that I never make a dime off of parts and get them for my customers at my discounted price and my labor is half of the shops/dealerships. I also would work on her vehicle on days and hours that were convenient to her and her work. Because she felt she had to second guess me, I told her that this last work was my last for her. She is the landscaper for my landlord and she said she would tell him what I said. I told her to go ahead. I let him know what happened and he was ok with it. I work on 6 vehicles related to him and family and friends. I told him that I will still work on her vehicle but I wanted her to sweat about it for a bit and her labor rate will be more.

Minn95Dually

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Three things: There was no way that I was gonna dig down to that charcoal cannister and not replace it, the codes that I originally pulled up over 3 months ago had not been addressed over that time and she drove that vehicle daily and when I did disconnect the cannister and removed it you could hear a slight sloshing sound and was heavier than the new one. You could easily feel the difference. She was hopeful that I would replace just the ESIM because it was easily removeable for separate replacement and I had it there, along with the cannister/ESIM. Then I showed her what I just said and also showed her where the OE part at the dealer was over $300 and with my discount, I got the OE part for $132 from AZ. She said she had asked around, obviously double checking what I had told her 3 months ago, and said that other people recommended replacing the gas cap and see what happens. I then reminded her two things: I had mentioned the gas cap before and found that her vehicle did not have a gas cap and the fuel fill opening cover was what sealed when closed and also that the codes were related to a small leak and not a large leak and that the classic problem was ESIM and purge valve related.

I then reminded her that I never make a dime off of parts and get them for my customers at my discounted price and my labor is half of the shops/dealerships. I also would work on her vehicle on days and hours that were convenient to her and her work. Because she felt she had to second guess me, I told her that this last work was my last for her. She is the landscaper for my landlord and she said she would tell him what I said. I told her to go ahead. I let him know what happened and he was ok with it. I work on 6 vehicles related to him and family and friends. I told him that I will still work on her vehicle but I wanted her to sweat about it for a bit and her labor rate will be more.
Geezuz, I am looking for a guy like you.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I just installed 2 headlights for my neighbor 2 days ago. On a 1986 Nissan 720 pickup. Rusted/frozen screws on trim ring. had to drill out. Next day he does not have turn signals. hazard flashers work. I swap the flashers and the turn signals work. I told him to get a turn signal flasher, #552, and showed him where to install. Today he called me and said the turn signals still do not work. I asked if he checked with the key in the run position. He said yes. I walked down and the turn signals worked. he did not have the key turned far enough. I then explained that there was absolutely nothing I could have touched or done replacing 2 headlights to stop the turn signals. Even the screw drilling. I did not charge him to diagnose the turn signal problem to begin with. I should have as an "aggravation fee".

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Seems like once the old sealed beam headlight trim rings get about 20-30 years on them, the screws are always frozen. That was my introduction to the hand impact driver set. Sometimes followed by the often fruitless adventure into the Dorman aisle for new adjusters..

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Do you have business insurance? Too many bad customers these days
No, I do not. They are my neighbors and if they were to get snippy about anything, the other neighbors would jump them about it. They know going in that I am just a driveway mechanic, that happens to have been an ASE Master Tech and I get them discounts on parts. If I run in to something, I stop and they HAVE to come see what I see.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, I do not. They are my neighbors and if they were to get snippy about anything, the other neighbors would jump them about it. They know going in that I am just a driveway mechanic, that happens to have been an ASE Master Tech and I get them discounts on parts. If I run in to something, I stop and they HAVE to come see what I see.
I would advise insurance, there are lots of crazies out there… On another note I wouldn’t advertise under the table income online…

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would advise insurance, there are lots of crazies out there… On another note I wouldn’t advertise under the table income online…
As far as I remember, I have never talked about my rewards for my services. Every one of my neighbors have great gardens and I love strawberries, corn and tomatos. I did not know there was so many ways to do a casserole.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Right in front of the customers, I will work different switches and components on the dash. I showed this guy, but when I switched the hazard flasher with the t/s flasher and the t/s worked, he had to shut up. Then he went and got a flasher I had called about and set up. He plugged in to the t/s connector, I had already moved the hazard flasher back to it's own connector and showed him. Gotta lead this guy by the hand. He plugs in the new t/s flasher and he did not turn the key on to "RUN". He went to the first click and no t/s flasher, blinkety blink. He calls me and I have to go back down the street and asked if he turned the key far enough and he said "yes" with hesitation. I turned it to RUN and the t/s works. I had also already showed him that the emergency/hazard flasher switch was intermittent. Sometimes just the left side flashed. Sometimes just the right side flashed. Had to forcefully push the switch farther than the detent spot to get them all 4 to flash. I cautioned him to get it fixed. Needs a new switch assembly. I located it for up to $75 and as low as $54. Using my wholesale or military discounts. I told him, one of these days he may need the flashers and if they do not work, the truck could get hit. It is the whole reason for them to work. He is thinking about it. He even asked me if he can replace it. The two halves of the clamshell covers have about 10 screws holding them together. Plus, likely has some things to remove to access the switch assembly to allow remove and replace. I told him I have no knowledge of your abilities. I am thinking about the t/s dilemma when I am saying this.

This is the same 86 Nissan 720 series pickup that I recently did complete rear brakes and wheel cylinders, clutch slave cylinder, valve cover gasket, pcv valve, plugs, front wheel bearings and idler arm.