Idle gets gradually worse after replacing distributor cap, rotor, plugs, and plug wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joeyatwell5

Reaction score
I’ve got a 91’ k2500 with a 5.7, 350 tbi and was experiencing loss of power while driving home from work, asked a buddy who’s a mechanic and he said it sounded like the distributor cap so I pulled that off and it was all corroded as was the rotor. After replacing those I tried to start it, it started and was running rough, so I decided to pull the plugs and they were covered with soot and replaced those and for the hell of it I replaced the wires. Now it will start and sound like it’s running good but it gradually gets worse, I’m stumped here and just looking for more input on what I should check to solve this issue

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Sounds like you addressed the ignition parts and as long as you used good quality components, you should be fine there.

Sounds like the loss of power could be fuel pressure related. It also sounds like you have no idea of components or filters age. I would replace the fuel filter. Could be restricted and robbing pressure from the fuel system. A clogged fuel filter can also make a fuel pump work too hard and cause failure prematurely. Do the fuel filter and get a fuel pressure test done and reports results here. Get the pressure at start up and idle, as it warms up and while driving under a load.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
" but it gradually gets worse"
... as in sputters and stumbles?
... as in idle speed slows until it stalls?
As in losing fuel pressure...
I see what you are saying though. Just sitting there idling or while driving?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Only in gear or will it do it idling in neutral or park?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Pull the IAC valve and clean port and pintle.