Noise from Bell housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a unibit to open the weep hole so I could get the scope in there... (darn scope is already flaking out..cable losing connection at end where lense is...leds go out...screen goes blue.... Probably a connection in the cable itself from constant bending and shaping to look around stuff.....Don't think it's fiber but idk..anyway..)

been hearing a slappy sounding tick coming from the bellhousing inspection cover... Wondering if my flexplate is having issues....
Here's a video of what it looks like...if you listen carefully/closely in the beginning, you can hear the ticking...but it's definitely a loose sounding something...
if you slow down the video, you can see the flex plate moving pretty good. I know it's a "flex" plate....just wasn't sure if anything looked not good.... torque converter is to right of frame...
for all I know, my crank could be bent... I have too much movement at damper imo....but maybe flex plate can cause this???
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

iirc , maybe it was sooner, in May I noticed a slight ticking/slapping noise coming from bell housing. That quote above was when I mentioned it.
Figured I'd start a thread since this will be a thing I try to address asap since it's getting much worse. Seems to have gotten a lot worse pretty quickly over the last week.

Several months ago I had the inspection cover off for another noise I was chasing and checked torque on the converter bolts and it was good. I looked as best I could for any signs of cracks. I've changed the starter.

Yesterday, I put my old starter back in and tried scoping around for at least an hour to try to find any cracks but couldn't.
Guess I'm going to be pulling the transmission. Have a leak at some seal where the transmission mount is that I need to get to anyway. ugh...

Here's what it's sounding like now. It's definitely not coming from the crank/pan or transmission...
Guessing loose flex plate bolts or maybe starting to crack?
I had the transmission off last year and put the old flex plate back on. Don't recall using loctite either if that's a thing.....

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
inspection cover off....
I need to dial in where the noise is coming from...Put stethoscope on starter, transmission pan,oil pan....nothing.....
Will get a hose in a bit ...

edit//// yeah noise is definitely coming from where flexplate mounts to crank....
Going to look real close again but, I looked close already and did not see anything resembling cracks...
Loose flexplate bolts?
Already checked torque converter bolts....

Last edited:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Is there a reason you have not already tightened down the attaching bolts at the flex plate to torque converter, and then listened to see if it made a difference?

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there a reason you have not already tightened down the attaching bolts at the flex plate to torque converter, and then listened to see if it made a difference?
I've checked the torque converter to flexplate bolts several times including today? Do you mean torque them past the 50lbs and see what happens?

I guess one more thing to note is that it takes a minute or less for truck to get warm? or spinning for a bit before it starts making noise. Almost tricked me thinking replacing my starter fixed it but it returned. If I start the truck warm it's there pretty much instantly...
When I hit the fly wheel with my hose end by accident while listening, I think it made the noise stop for a couple of seconds....

Last edited:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Since warming it up makes it come out and get louder, it could be something internal in the torque converter.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since warming it up makes it come out and get louder, it could be something internal in the torque converter.
hmmm..I'll try to listen again...it's definitely coming from the engine side of the converter if anything.
It's a supposed NOS GM converter I put in last year...But it was pretty old obviously.
Sometimes wondered if sitting around so long was not the best thing..But it did have some fluid in it iirc.... Had a mobile mechanic helping and I remember dumping it and refilling it or something..not 100% but do remember filling it pretty sure...
I even reached out to seller with my concerns of the ageing paper or whatever material inside and he said there isn't a problem because of them sitting around..... I think it was dated 10 years prior or something....
was actually going to ask for recommendations on a converter and flexplate since they're coming out....

Last edited:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
hmmm..I'll try to listen again...it's definitely coming from the engine side of the converter if anything.
It's a supposed NOS GM converter I put in last year...But it was pretty old obviously.
Sometimes wondered if sitting around so long was not the best thing..But it did have some fluid in it iirc.... Had a mobile mechanic helping and I remember dumping it and refilling it or something..not 100% but do remember filling it pretty sure...
I even reached out to seller with my concerns of the ageing paper or whatever material inside and he said there isn't a problem because of them sitting around..... I think it was dated 10 years prior or something....
was actually going to ask for recommendations on a converter and flexplate since they're coming out....
Since it is coming out anyway, you can inspect the flex plate and bolts and the back of crank. I would have the transmission checked for a possible front pump problem, if you have it all the way out. If not, then slide the torque converter out and have a transmission shop inspect after you show them the noise videos and always put a new seal in before the torque converter in reinstalled.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since it is coming out anyway, you can inspect the flex plate and bolts and the back of crank.
Thanks...
When you say inspect back of crank, what should I be looking for?
I do feel like I have too much shake at the balancer and cs pulley. It wasn't as bad with an AC Delco balancer. With the AC Delco balancer, I think the only movement was seeing the uneven rubber from the back side and really no pulley shake.. With this Dayco Street level balancer, it's a bit shakey everywhere and the pulley shakes too. I believe their oem cheaper level balancer was more stable in actuality.

Yeah I can see slight shake in transfer case...feel it in general in various areas of the truck. I know it's going to have some... Just feels like something to me...

anyway, just listened again and yes it took about a minute to start making noise....Really sounds loudest right at crank where flexplate is...but you could hear the noise in the area of the body of the converter... Just not as noticeable...
Thanks again

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Post pics of the process and videos, too. I have seen transmission shops use a couple tools to reach down in the front snout of torque converter and check stator or something else.
You may actually have a failing torque converter but a shop should check for sure.