No dome light after evap replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I had a layout of the entire harness in a wiring diagram (old AF avionics guy used to seeing massive wiring diagrams for aircraft) and a physical layout of where everything is.

Well, that helps to explain the vibe I was getting from your writing, particularly in reply #2. I'm a fellow AF Avionics vet,
some C-130, some F-106, and after a break of service, a good chunk of F-16. Here's our last F-16 departing w/intent
when my unit (158th FW, "The Green Mountain Boys") converted to the F-35: (F-16 max AB)

Don't know if you've seen this already, but when we were troubleshooting a GMT400 with a really butchered wiring harness
under the dash I laid out how the General organized the wiring harness data. It should be a good match, for I based it off
the '99 FSM. (How the GMT400 wiring harness data is laid out in the FSM) Given your background, this will be an easy read.

FWIW, here's the first item in that tutorial. It helps turn the General's naming convention for stuff in the wiring harness from
part of the problem to part of the solution:

You must be registered for see images attach

Hope this proves helpful. The General's books are pretty good once you figure out how they organized the
data. It's all in there somewhere. (Across 4 large phone books in paper, or 2 large searchable .pdf files in the
digital domain.)

Best of luck chasing down that 100 ohm reading.
Looking forward to your next update --

chevman_88

Reaction score
Last update of the night. There's a reason they say check the simple things first...

Spent all afternoon shooting wires and combing through manuals. After realizing I was REALLY into the weeds and starting to confuse myself I decided I needed to take a step back and reevaluate. What got me here? Dome lights non-functional. Missed a few grounds when I reassembled the dash the first time. Must have pinched a wire. Sure it's not a bulb? Multiple going out at the same time (worked when I parked the burb) seems unlikely especially when I just replaced them all with PrecisionLED bulbs, but possible.

Laying out the original problem again - Dome lights didn't function as expected, however, door and dash lights do.

Potential solutions:
1. bulbs burned out
2. damaged wiring after the ceiling lights split off the circuit from the rest.

Reason why I thought # 1 was unlikely was the age of the bulbs and timing.

Reason I thought #2 would have been more likely: large intrusive repairs involving areas that specifically affected regions of wire where these lights could have been affected.

Once I found the splices that joined all orange 40 and white 156 wires for the interior lights I realized they were good thus I shouldn't be having these issues. I then ran a heavy gauge ground directly to the center dome and notta...wtf...wait...there's no way I lost both the dome lights at the same time...right? Found a spare and voila...she lives. Can't explain the 100 ohm reading other than old wiring with some corrosion somewhere.

Dammit I feel like a dumbass for losing several days on this. But let it be a reminder to check the simple **** first.

For those not as fortunate as me, if you run into the same issue the splice is in the same bundle as C301 just a tad further up the harness in the kick panel area. I'll get some pictures tomorrow when I start reassembling everything.

Last edited: