Need Opinions - Transmission Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kylebg94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Just trying to help you, that's all. If you want to write 'deers', is fine with me. Besides, that's trivial compared to the issues w/your Silverado.

As mentioned, I would not drive it until you can fix the electrical/electronic/command-control problems you are having. Otherwise, you will need a transmission - it's not a matter of 'if', but 'when'.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I drive the old truck, because if a deer was too run into it. They wouldn't do nothing but total it. And if the damage isn't too bad. Where it's still drivable. I'd just pocket the money and keep driving it the way it is
That's not quite how it works here.
If the insurance company totals the vehicle, and you accept, you give them the title and they sell off your car to someone, usually salvage yard, and give them a salvage title.
If you accept the vehicle being totaled but want to keep your vehicle, they'll give you a lesser amount , whatever the totaled amount was minus what they would have gotten for selling to a salvage yard, you give them the title and they give you a salvage title.
Then the vehicle can't be driven until you go through the hoops to get a rebuilt title. Some insurance companies shy away from insuring rebuilt titled cars as well from what I understand.

Last edited:

Kylebg94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the insurance company totals the vehicle, and you accept, you give them the title and they sell off your car to someone, usually salvage yard, and give them a salvage title.
If you accept the vehicle being totaled but want to keep your vehicle, they'll give you a lesser amount , whatever the totaled amount was minus what they would have gotten for selling to a salvage yard, you give them the title and they give you a salvage title.
Then the vehicle can't be driven until you go through the hoops to get a rebuilt title. Some insurance companies shy away from insuring rebuilt titled cars as well from what I understand.
I live in nc.. Your in Florida. Mu sister had her 2002 Honda accord totaled after a deer accident years ago. They automatically paid her the value. They told her they could not give her full coverage on the car until it was fully
It would take nothing for them to total the truck out. Because it doesnt have much value. I would bet a simple bent bumper would total it out. And you would have to do is slap a junk yard bumper on it. And then it would qualify as a rebuilt title. Where you could legally drive it. And state farm which my sister has. Does insure rebuilt titles. Because her car was totaled after a deer ran into her. Even my insurance progressive does. I've heard that if the car was rebuilt back to it's original condition. They would reinstate full coverage on it. That's what I remember her saying. And she did take that money a fully repair it. I'm not, I'll slap whatever part it needs on the truck to legally make it drivable and keep it rolling.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drive the old truck, because if a deer was too run into it. They wouldn't do nothing but total it. And if the damage isn't too bad. Where it's still drivable. I'd just pocket the money and keep driving it the way it is. I do drive my new truck. I've driven to Tennessee on it twice. Myrtle beach 3 times. And a 7400 mile road trip to the west coast.. On top of that I was driving it back and forth to work sometimes until I realized how bad the deers are out here.
Slow down. Deer are a serious problem here, and I slow my butt down at night. The speed limits around me are 45-55 mph, but at night we're lucky to hit 45 mph. You also can't get distracted by the stereo or wandering thoughts. You have to be scanning the road and shoulder for deer shapes and shining eyes.

But... my wife saw a herd of deer and slowed to 25 mph. One stupid f'ing deer ran out from the brush headfirst into her passenger door. We had to replace the door. They aren't smart.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It would take nothing for them to total the truck out. Because it doesnt have much value. I would bet a simple bent bumper would total it out
yup...
And you would have to do is slap a junk yard bumper on it. And then it would qualify as a rebuilt title. Where you could legally drive it.
That's the simple way of saying it but leaves out all of the red tape and hoops...meaning you can't just drive up to the DMV to get a registration by showing them the slapped on bumper... Can take several weeks of the vehicle not being able to be driven legally.
Kinda why I said it's not quite how they do it here in FL. It used to be the way you said it earlier. Those were the days.

Kylebg94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Slow down. Deer are a serious problem here, and I slow my butt down at night. The speed limits around me are 45-55 mph, but at night we're lucky to hit 45 mph. You also can't get distracted by the stereo or wandering thoughts. You have to be scanning the road and shoulder for deer shapes and shining eyes.

But... my wife saw a herd of deer and slowed to 25 mph. One stupid f'ing deer ran out from the brush headfirst into her passenger door. We had to replace the door. They aren't smart.
I had one just occasionally walk out sniffing something in the road right in front of me last night. And that's not the first time I've seen deer around here just casually walk out like there's nothing coming and take there sweet time crossing the road.

Kylebg94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yup...

That's the simple way of saying it but leaves out all of the red tape and hoops...meaning you can't just drive up to the DMV to get a registration by showing them the slapped on bumper... Can take several weeks of the vehicle not being able to be driven legally.
Kinda why I said it's not quite how they do it here in FL. It used to be the way you said it earlier. Those were the days.
Depends on the insurance company. Sone insurance I had in the past, wanted you to just send photos. Others want to come see it. I had a insurance company, I think it was national general in the past just ask me to photo damage from vehicle hitting me and taking off in a parking lot at work. But progressive was a different story. They wanted to come out and see the deer damage to my car.

Kylebg94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe that is the way it use to be. I haven't ever had a vehicle get totalled. Although I've seen it happen to others.

Kylebg94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yours may be a combination of things up to and including the PCM itself. Am curious to hear what the shop comes up with next week on your truck.
Your probably tired of hearing from me about this issue. I took the truck to another shop. And the guy told me he couldn't figure it out. But it sounded to him like a electrical issue. He suggested I check and replace the battery and battery terminals. The negative terminal bolt is stripped. It will not fully tighten down the cable. So I'm going to replace the bolt for the terminal. But, in your opinion. Do you think that's even possible for a loose connection with the battery. To cause the transmission to shift rough sporadically?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your probably tired of hearing from me about this issue. I took the truck to another shop. And the guy told me he couldn't figure it out. But it sounded to him like a electrical issue. He suggested I check and replace the battery and battery terminals. The negative terminal bolt is stripped. It will not fully tighten down the cable. So I'm going to replace the bolt for the terminal. But, in your opinion. Do you think that's even possible for a loose connection with the battery. To cause the transmission to shift rough sporadically?
Possibly to probably; I'd also think you would have other symptoms related to your engine management sensors, switches and sending units as well. Perhaps fuel injection/pressure concerns...So yes, I'd replace the terminal(s) if one or both are not in serviceable condition.