Transmission issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Try to drive it one more time and report back on what happens. Any more speculation on my part at this point is pointless.
Ok so I put it back together and it’s driving better than before. The first D with a square around it is just a second neutral and doesn’t work but the other D works fine and it shifts less violently but in downshifts it struggles. There is a jolt on downshift that was there before. There is a scraping noise though. The random clunk and jolt at stop lights is gone as well

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so I put it back together and it’s driving better than before. The first D with a square around it is just a second neutral and doesn’t work but the other D works fine and it shifts less violently but in downshifts it struggles. There is a jolt on downshift that was there before. There is a scraping noise though. The random clunk and jolt at stop lights is gone as well
You took the transmission completely apart, cleaned, inspected everything, reassembled it with all new soft parts and new or recondition hard parts, put it back in and the above represents your first test drive?

If so, what did you find when you took it apart???

If you properly rebuilt the transmission, you shouldn't have any false neutrals whatsoever nor should you have any downshifting problems. You should especially not have any scraping noises, lol. If you willing/able to explain what you found, post some pics of any damage then walk through what you did upon overhaul (parts replaced, procedures followed, any hard part reconditioning, etc I may be able to help you figure out why you're having the above described symptoms but for now, my response is :shrug:

Reaction score
You took the transmission completely apart, cleaned, inspected everything, reassembled it with all new soft parts and new or recondition hard parts, put it back in and the above represents your first test drive?

If so, what did you find when you took it apart???

If you properly rebuilt the transmission, you shouldn't have any false neutrals whatsoever nor should you have any downshifting problems. You should especially not have any scraping noises, lol. If you willing/able to explain what you found, post some pics of any damage then walk through what you did upon overhaul (parts replaced, procedures followed, any hard part reconditioning, etc I may be able to help you figure out why you're having the above described symptoms but for now, my response is :shrug:
Sorry Im not very good at explaining stuff. So I was in the process of taking it apart and didn’t get very far. I’m still in high school and doing some online college stuff decided I don’t have much time to be tearing apart and rebuilding this. Only got the valve body off and decided to put it back together and in the truck. I also burnt up my other trucks tranny and in the process of rebuilding taht one but not in much of a hurry for taht one. Sorry for the confusion

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry Im not very good at explaining stuff. So I was in the process of taking it apart and didn’t get very far. I’m still in high school and doing some online college stuff decided I don’t have much time to be tearing apart and rebuilding this. Only got the valve body off and decided to put it back together and in the truck. I also burnt up my other trucks tranny and in the process of rebuilding that one but not in much of a hurry for taht one. Sorry for the confusion
No worries, didn't know you were still in school...Kudos for you in attempting to rebuild them, it's not generally for the faint of heart. You have my videos plus many others as well as the ATSG manual to help you along the way.

Just post if you have any questions or even start (or convert this thread) to a rebuild thread as that may be the best way to crowd-source guidance and help while you move through each phase of the process.