Need Opinions - Transmission Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your absolutely right on that. There's one in Raleigh nc. That I might try. I've heard good things about them. There like 1.5 hours away though. It never popped the code 80. Just out of curiosity, could worn out fluid or a dirty transmission filter possibly lead to this issue I'm having? If so, do you think it's worth a shot to change it out?
No. Clogged filters lead to intermittent or chronic no movement or slipping/delayed engagements. You can drop the pan, it would be worth it just to see what's on the bottom...

I thought you were done dealing with it - is that not so?

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi All. Experiencing some trans issues. I drive a 97 Z71 with what I believe to be the original transmission. During my normal daily driving 10 minutes to work under 55mph I have no issues really. Say I have to run errands around town with a lot of stop and go, highway on and off ramps, stoplights, having to get on the gas to merge traffic etc. I begin to have issues. The trans will begin to shift hard through each early gear with a jolt I can feel in the cab as I accelerate. The truck seems to drive fine the next day until I have to push it hard again. I recently had to change multiple freeze plugs so I had to unbolt the trans and replace the fluid and coolant in that process. Trans still does the same jolt when changing gears after hard highway use. Any recommendations outside of the obvious of getting a new or refurbished trans? anyone experienced similar issue? Thanks
Did you have that problem before you unbolted the trans?

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No. Clogged filters lead to intermittent or chronic no movement or slipping/delayed engagements. You can drop the pan, it would be worth it just to see what's on the bottom...

I thought you were done dealing with it - is that not so?
Yep. And it is not unheard of for an old brittle trans filter to fall off when you pull the transmission.
Also pretty common for the old crumbled seal and filter neck to be stuck in the valve body and that doesnt get cleaned out so the new filter never seats properly and falls off when you wrestle the trans back in place.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. And it is not unheard of for an old brittle trans filter to fall off when you pull the transmission.
Also pretty common for the old crumbled seal and filter neck to be stuck in the valve body and that doesnt get cleaned out so the new filter never seats properly and falls off when you wrestle the trans back in place.
The filter is installed into the pump on the 700R4s and 4L60Es...While the 700s do occasionally have worn filter pick up seals, I'd say the number of 4L60E filter pick seals that I see bad are less than 1% of all transmissions that I do. Every once in a while, one will be caught walking out of it's bore on tear down (Just did a 1995 4L60E and the pick up seal was just starting to walk out).

Also the filters have a slight interference fit between the pump and pan bottom to hold them in place so it's very rare to actually see one fall out when a factory pan is used (I've seen one that fell out due to a cracked/broken neck - that transmission was grenaded inside). When folks install an aftermarket deep pan or a factory deep pan (97+ vettes, 98+ everything else) but a filter designed for use with a shallow pan (82-97) the filter can slip out and no movement is the result (or even worse, only come part way out resulting in pump cavitation and a smoked set of applied elements).

The TH350 filters bolt to the valve body but those in the 200-4Rs, 700R4s and 4L60Es insert into the pump stator support while the TH400s and 4L80Es insert into the case itself.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The filter is installed into the pump on the 700R4s and 4L60Es...While the 700s do occasionally have worn filter pick up seals, I'd say the number of 4L60E filter pick seals that I see bad are less than 1% of all transmissions that I do. Every once in a while, one will be caught walking out of it's bore on tear down (Just did a 1995 4L60E and the pick up seal was just starting to walk out).

Also the filters have a slight interference fit between the pump and pan bottom to hold them in place so it's very rare to actually see one fall out when a factory pan is used (I've seen one that fell out due to a cracked/broken neck - that transmission was grenaded inside). When folks install an aftermarket deep pan or a factory deep pan (97+ vettes, 98+ everything else) but a filter designed for use with a shallow pan (82-97) the filter can slip out and no movement is the result (or even worse, only come part way out resulting in pump cavitation and a smoked set of applied elements).

The TH350 filters bolt to the valve body but those in the 200-4Rs, 700R4s and 4L60Es insert into the pump stator support while the TH400s and 4L80Es insert into the case itself.
Yep. But it is the amatueur install that causes the problem im talking about.
The filter neck breaks off and they stuff a new filter in without making sure the old crumbles are gone.
They jam the new filter into place and twist it back and forth because it wont seat because its full of crud.
Then they drop it a few times and beat the crap out of the trans and wrestle with it for a week or two.
You are looking at it as a professional who knows his business.
I look at it as former car salesman who knows that every customer is lying through his teeth.
It is never about what you have to do to fix the problem.
It is always about figuring out whatever bullshit story they are trying to sell about how they had nothing to do with it.
You fixed my brakes but now my back seat wont fold down.
You put new tires on my car and now my left turn signal doesnt work.
You have an oportunity to use your experiance and knowledge to help knuckleheads like me.
That is why we are here.
We all have a responsibilty here.
Every time you **** on a newbie a ******* toyota prious gets its wings.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. But it is the amatueur install that causes the problem im talking about.
The filter neck breaks off and they stuff a new filter in without making sure the old crumbles are gone.
They jam the new filter into place and twist it back and forth because it wont seat because its full of crud.
Then they drop it a few times and beat the crap out of the trans and wrestle with it for a week or two.
You are looking at it as a professional who knows his business.
I look at it as former car salesman who knows that every customer is lying through his teeth.
It is never about what you have to do to fix the problem.
It is always about figuring out whatever bullshit story they are trying to sell about how they had nothing to do with it.
You fixed my brakes but now my back seat wont fold down.
You put new tires on my car and now my left turn signal doesnt work.
Ha! Sounds like a video on "Just Rolled In".
You have an oportunity to use your experiance and knowledge to help knuckleheads like me.
That is why we are here.
We all have a responsibilty here.
Every time you **** on a newbie a ******* toyota prious gets its wings.

I was just clarifying some of the technical details in my above post; certainly did not think you a knucklehead. I help people on here every day, either via posting in threads, my own threads or my YT channel. Are you saying I don't or are you referring to someone else?

And what newbie did I **** on (assuming you are referring specifically to me and not speaking in general)?

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I was just clarifying some of the technical details in my above post; certainly did not think you a knucklehead. I help people on here every day, either via posting in threads, my own threads or my YT channel. Are you saying I don't or are you referring to someone else?

And what newbie did I **** on (assuming you are referring specifically to me and not speaking in general)?

ITS A JOKE ! Every time you **** a newbie a prious gets its wings? ITS a JOKE

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@thinger2
It's the internet, we don't have the benefit of seeing or hearing each other, only the words as typed. So joke or not, I wasnt sure; it wasn't clear whether or not you were addressing me specifically or not since you were talking specifically to me in the first part of your post. there was no break or obvious indicator that you had moved on and were actually joking in that last part starting with, "You have an opportunity..." .

Hence why I asked.

Last edited:

Kylebg94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Connect a scan tool, look for "codes" but also examine the data stream. Find out what the computer wants you to know. This seems to be a "limp-home" issue. The computer is programmed to increase line pressure when certain sensor signals go out-of-range.

Follow service manual procedures for the codes you find.

For the record, when I bought my '97 K2500 7.4L/4L80E, I had a severe engine misfire and a torque converter clutch that never engaged. Figured I had two potentially-expensive repairs to make, and the price of the truck adjusted downward accordingly.

Turned out that I had a cracked spark plug in #8; and when the computer senses misfire, it disables the TCC. One spark plug fixed both problems, and the truck suddenly became an under-priced bargain.
Since you speak of that. I wanted to mention that I have a rough idle sometimes.. especially on a cold start in park. My rpm tachometer will be as high as 1500 rpm. And it will rev there for several minutes before reving down. And when it revs down. The revs jump a little. Producing a rough idle. I did notice the spark plug on the back driver side. Will not fully tighten down. I think the threads we're stripped. I put brand new sparks plugs in it. In the past trying to chase the rough idle down.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you speak of that. I wanted to mention that I have a rough idle sometimes.. especially on a cold start in park. My rpm tachometer will be as high as 1500 rpm. And it will rev there for several minutes before reving down. And when it revs down. The revs jump a little. Producing a rough idle. I did notice the spark plug on the back driver side. Will not fully tighten down. I think the threads we're stripped. I put brand new sparks plugs in it. In the past trying to chase the rough idle down.
Put a vacuum gauge on it, film the gauge so we can see exactly what the needle is doing...Upload to Youtube and post the link to the video here.