95 Tahoe Radiator Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95 Tahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just wanted to share if anyone is wanting to do the same thing. I have been having some lackluster cooling performance and decided to change out the old radiator. The fan would scream in these 95-99 degree temps. The old radiator was a 1 1/4" single row I think. I suspect it had some fouling. I found a 2 3/16" radiator at Advanced Auto for $249, part number 431334. With the current 20% off coupon it was $200. About the same price as if I ordered one from Rock Auto. The thicker radiator was a drop in replacement and seems to work a lot better. The fan isn't roaring when I take off anymore and the temps do not climb much while stopped. I do plan to change to a heavy duty or severe duty fan clutch as well.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would replace that little rubber cap plug above transmission line that radiator likely has. That cheap cap will fail leaving you stranded.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the same a few years ago and got a dual core Spectra from Advanced Auto. This is what you want, a silicone cap. This 16mm fit my Spectra, they have different sizes, so just confirm for yours.
HPS 5/8" (16mm) Black High Temperature 3-ply Reinforced Silicone Coolant Cap Bypass Heater, 1-5/8" Length, 350F Max. Temp, 4mm Wall Thickness
https://a.co/d/00qQzsZZ

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most trucks in heavier weight category, towing got the full size radiator with the 2 1/8 or 2 3/16 core . And some big blocks 7.4 had a 2 1/2 taller radiator.

95 Tahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only if you also change to a heavy-duty or severe-duty fan.
I've seen some comments on the fan rating vs clutch rating. I've read they Hayden publication on it. It's all clear as mud to me at this point. I have been running the GM 11 blade fan used on the later model trucks. Also, I checked my fan clutch this morning it is actually already a heavy duty. According to Hayden, the 5 blade fan I was using should be considered heavy duty since it measures 2 1/2" depth. The 11 blade with shallower blade depth seems to move more air. I haven't verified this in any kind of way.