Cb radio antennas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because most people quit using CBs when cell phones became a thing? Not trying to be a pest, but CB fell out of popularity in the 90s.

^^^ this

and C. W. McCall died.

Who doesn't remember "Convoy" and "Wolf Creek Pass".

I actually drove over Wolf Creek Pass a couple of years ago, almost without knowing it.

We were eastbound on US160 cresting the top and here's a big green sign alongside the road "Wolf Creek Pass blah blah blah" and I'm thinking "This is the place???"

That's when I started looking at that road through new eyes, because driving Wolf Creek Pass with a big rig could be a real challenge.

RIP - C. W. McCall

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Because most people quit using CBs when cell phones became a thing? Not trying to be a pest, but CB fell out of popularity in the 90s.
Even the truckers up in western Canada have abandoned them in favor of VHF radios. Pretty much only central and eastern Canada run them.
My dad's a trucker up here, and says the American driver's are always complaining they can hear anyone talking on CH 19, and he has to explain they are a thing of the past up here.

John DeWitt

Reaction score
Even the truckers up in western Canada have abandoned them in favor of VHF radios. Pretty much only central and eastern Canada run them.
My dad's a trucker up here, and says the American driver's are always complaining they can hear anyone talking on CH 19, and he has to explain they are a thing of the past up here.
What are yall running for VHF? Not familiar with the Canadian frequency allocation. Is it something like business or gmrs banded stuff?

John DeWitt

Reaction score
Anytone 6666 / PowerWerx DB-750X
102" Whip w/ 6" riser / Tram 1159-WB

Have full coverage of 7 different bands. 3 HF, 2 VHF, 2 UHF between both radios. 10/11/12 meter HF Bands, 2 Meter/Public Service VHF Bands, 440/GMRS UHF Bands.
Been into radio for quite a while now, both as a hobby & professionally.

I know there's been mention about tuning the radio, & while yes it helps its quite pointless if all your running is a shorty firestick. Those aren't very effecient antennas. As the old saying goes, it's better to have a good antenna & a bad radio than a good radio & a bad antenna. It doesn't matter how much power you crank out if the antenna doesn't efficiently radiate your signal.

Attachments

• 20240914_155939.jpg
    20240914_155939.jpg
    661.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240914_155952.jpg
    20240914_155952.jpg
    608 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240914_160008.jpg
    20240914_160008.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240914_160148.jpg
    20240914_160148.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240914_160211.jpg
    20240914_160211.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 7

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What are yall running for VHF? Not familiar with the Canadian frequency allocation. Is it something like business or gmrs banded stuff?
They are running on what's called the LADD channels, an acronym for Logging Administrative Dispatch. Originally designated for logging obviously. But there are 4 channels that anyone can use, there are geographic restrictions in certain places for certain channels though.

You must be registered for see images attach

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Have full coverage of 7 different bands. 3 HF, 2 VHF, 2 UHF between both radios. 10/11/12 meter HF Bands, 2 Meter/Public Service VHF Bands, 440/GMRS UHF Bands.

I know there's been mention about tuning the radio, & while yes it helps its quite pointless if all your running is a shorty firestick. Those aren't very effecient antennas. As the old saying goes, it's better to have a good antenna & a bad radio than a good radio & a bad antenna. It doesn't matter how much power you crank out if the antenna doesn't efficiently radiate your signal.
Now that's an antenna!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the old saying goes, it's better to have a good antenna & a bad radio than a good radio & a bad antenna. It doesn't matter how much power you crank out if the antenna doesn't efficiently radiate your signal.
Yup. My race team has a pretty high-power setup in our car. We fought and fought with radio issues. Teams with Baofeng handhelds were getting better communication. We finally recruited another guy onto our team who's a radio geek. He went through everything, and then pulled apart the antenna. It had been soldered wrong at the factory and was shorted out. Here's the podcast where other members of my team pick his brain.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JohnZ71

Z71 Tahoe Enjoyer
Reaction score

what fender mount are you using? Does it hit the hood at all, any issues installing?

John DeWitt

Reaction score
I meant to grab a picture or 2 before I left for work, if I remember I'll handle that in the morning. I'll link the NMO L bracket, 4 of my vehicles use this mount. No, no install issues & it clears the hood just fine. It does come with coax, however I cut the excess off & soldered on my own Amphenol PL259 after snaking the coax through a hole I drilled in the firewall. Of course I use a grommet, & the hole is shared with another line of coax & separate power cables for both radios.
what fender mount are you using? Does it hit the hood at all, any issues installing?

Fumei NMO L Shape Mount Mobile Antenna Bracket NMO to PL-259 Connector (Black) https://a.co/d/07KkTfQ