My Crimson Cruiser - 1996 GMC 1500 Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Reading your thread brings back memories when I first started replacing parts on my '98. Looks like you have a great platform to start with for sure.

Not sure if you've checked it out yet, but take a look in the projects section on here for ideas and other info that members have posted on their trucks. I'm sure this thread can be moved there. I look forward to the updates!!

aldang25879

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Reading your thread brings back memories when I first started replacing parts on my '98. Looks like you have a great platform to start with for sure.

Not sure if you've checked it out yet, but take a look in the projects section on here for ideas and other info that members have posted on their trucks. I'm sure this thread can be moved there. I look forward to the updates!!
For sure! I’m doing it all for the first time (even beyond gmt400 this is like the third time I’ve taken a brake caliper or tie rod off). I really am loving it so far.

How do I move a thread?

aldang25879

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Y’all think plaza tire shop will do my control arm bushings? I’m thinking that would be easier than using this C clamp. Im hoping it’s like 45-50 bucks max.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
For sure! I’m doing it all for the first time (even beyond gmt400 this is like the third time I’ve taken a brake caliper or tie rod off). I really am loving it so far.

How do I move a thread?

I would think a moderator will come along at some point and move it for you.

To answer your question about your control arm bushings. It may be more time and cost effective to just replace the whole assembly.

Luckily for you, the 2wd control arms are still available. Us 4wd guys can only get the uppers lol

Last edited:

aldang25879

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would think a moderator will come along at some point and move it for you.

To answer your question about your control arm bushings. It may be more time and cost effective to just replace the whole assembly.

Luckily for you, the 2wd control arms are still available. Us 4wd guys can only get the uppers lol
I’ve heard about the 4wd lower arms not being made by anyone. Why do they do that?

And while that may be up for consideration, I don’t have new bushings ordered yet but I already bought my ball joints and everything, this deep in I gotta either find a shop to do it or get them in there myself. :bawl:

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
I’ve heard about the 4wd lower arms not being made by anyone. Why do they do that?

And while that may be up for consideration, I don’t have new bushings ordered yet but I already bought my ball joints and everything, this deep in I gotta either find a shop to do it or get them in there myself. :bawl:

4wd LCA’s were discontinued, but I don’t think there was a specific reason. I’ve heard though that Chevy Astro van LCA’s bolt right up. Haven’t talked to anyone yet that has tried it, but I’d be curious to know.