My Crimson Cruiser - 1996 GMC 1500 Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aldang25879

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I’ll let you decide. Maybe they’re a little too far in compared to the old ones. They look fine to me though. The side that can go in, even shifting it so the stuck side can go in and the other side can’t; they fit perfectly in there.

Watching other videos, they just go right in.. I’m so confused

Last edited:

aldang25879

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

She’s on but it wasn’t easy. I broke my metal hammer. Used some heat to bend the ears out.

These guys on the end couldn’t come along for the journey but that’s okay. If it makes the bushings go out early, I’m having a shop do new ones next time, quite frankly. Not dealing with this **** again.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need those metal plates that are on the end of the bushing. They have those raised ribs on them to bite into the UCA mounts. It keeps the center sleeve in place while the bushing rotates around that and helps the bushing return to its normal ride height state.

Nice job on the lower!!

aldang25879

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The way the guys at the shop explained it to me, the ears can bend when an alignment shop or whoever torques the arms down. And the new ones could be a little longer. As long as you get it to fit in it’s fine.

As good as these XRF parts have been so far, these upper ball joint nuts look extremely warped and won’t thread. I’m gonna use my old nuts for this application as the threads on the bolts themselves are fine.

aldang25879

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need those metal plates that are on the end of the bushing. They have those raised ribs on them to bite into the UCA mounts. It keeps the center sleeve in place while the bushing rotates around that and helps the bushing return to its normal ride height state.

Nice job on the lower!!
I’m wondering how to get them in with it. Even with the ears bent they simply won’t fit. Maybe I’ll have an alignment shop look at it when they’re being aligned. I’ll bring them with me and see what they can do.

Last edited:

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine were a PITA as we, and they were new out of the box. Took some hammering, a floor jack and I pin bar to get them in.
And yes.....take the knockouts out while you're in there. And make sure you get all of them!!!
I thought I did....cost me a few hundred dollars at the alignment shop due to my stupidity.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way the guys at the shop explained it to me, the ears can bend when an alignment shop or whoever torques the arms down. And the new ones could be a little longer. As long as you get it to fit in it’s fine.

As good as these XRF parts have been so far, these upper ball joint nuts look extremely warped and won’t thread. I’m gonna use my old nuts for this application as the threads on the bolts themselves are fine.
Those nuts are meant to be warped. They are oblong on one side and normal on the other. Thread them on with the normal side down and I bet they work.
I’m wondering how to get them in with it. Even with the ears bent they simply won’t fit. Maybe I’ll have an alignment shop look at it when they’re being aligned. I’ll bring them with me and see what they can do.
Something is off then. For the uppers I think I used hammers and pry bars like that liquored up Canadian said @Drunkcanuk. Mine didn’t really put up a fight though. The lowers were bad. They were worse when I had poly bushings.

Take your time and make sure you don’t damage the rubber or else you’ll need to start fresh.