Mpfi upgrade reviews.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barry_g

Reaction score
I've had great luck with the AC Delco unit. I've got 80k miles on it and its been perfect. They are not the easiest thing to install, and its easy to damage it. I recommend that it be 65deg or more outside if you are going to do this. The fuel hose doesn't like to move or bend. The warmer the better. Also, spray the crap out of the back side with silicone spray to work the o-rings. If you just try to slap it in, you might end up damaging an o-ring or fuel hose. Man... if GM had only used their marine intake MerCruiser used. We wouldn't have these problems!
I agree, needing the heat. I knew 25 year old plastic was going to need some help.
m12 ratchet in hand, 95F day and in the shade.. I was apart and back together in 2.5 hours. Still too hot to touch with my hands.
I went oem stuff by TamerX in south carolina, full assembly and gaskets.
it has been 3 years.
I was at 390k to need the new injectors, and blamed my self.. I got weld smoke inside the open filler neck while welding with tank removed in the crossmember area. I saw the layer of grey inside the tube and quickly ragged it out.. it was not enough. Took maybe 5 minutes after back together to know i did something to it. (Kicked a very accurate code too- I verified it was number 3 injector) I popped it on the electrical side...oxide stealing ground is best guess.
I keep that rack of 7 injectors still good as it was, all one piece with regulator in the parts the closet.

Wademo

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents, but I installed a Delpi unit in a GMC Safari a few years back. Did a complete engine rebuild, so it was apart anyway, so it was the best time to replace it. That thing had a slight leak from one injector right from the get. Not enough to set a code, but had a one-cylinder miss like it was flooded on a hot restart. Enough of a pain to replace it that I just lived with it for 3 years until I sold it. I know that sounds lazy, but I just didn't feel like working on it anymore unless I had to, and there was always a had-to as long as I owned it.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents, but I installed a Delpi unit in a GMC Safari a few years back. Did a complete engine rebuild, so it was apart anyway, so it was the best time to replace it. That thing had a slight leak from one injector right from the get. Not enough to set a code, but had a one-cylinder miss like it was flooded on a hot restart. Enough of a pain to repla

ce it that I just lived with it for 3 years until I sold it. I know that sounds lazy, but I just didn't feel like working on it anymore unless I had to, and there was always a had-to as long as I owned it.
Thanks for your input. I doubt the quality has gotten better.