Max crank, only gained 1''

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
I tried cranking my truck 2'' today to level it with my 2'' blocks in the rear, and i only got about 3/4 inch on full crank! wtf is up with this? ive heard of people getting up to 3'' !!:Frustrated:

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
supposley your torsion bars are worn from what ive read on here.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
I tried cranking my truck 2'' today to level it with my 2'' blocks in the rear, and i only got about 3/4 inch on full crank! wtf is up with this? ive heard of people getting up to 3'' !!:Frustrated:

worn out bars... keys will help some i think

zigsz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah it just means your bars are really fatigued. You can either get new bars or get re-indexed "lift" keys. A lot of folks on here shame new keys for our OBS trucks but when your bars are that fatigued, that's when they worth it. Hell, I have keys on my truck just to get my bolts back close to where they were stock. When I cranked with the stock keys, yes I got about 2" out of it, but my bolts were maxxed (well, my driver side at least but my passenger side was pretty close too) and I've heard from a few folks that the adjustment bolts can actually break from the pressure of the keys when they're turned up all the way.

Basically, for you, "lift" keys would be worth it. For most folks, they're not necessary.

On second thought though, did you drive around for a lil bit with your keys maxxed? Like maybe over some speed bumps and the like? This can help to sort of cycle your suspension in a way and get your bars to actually, for lack of a better word, settle into their new height....

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
keys won't help sagging bars.

I asked a tech at rough country that very question and he said NO they won't work it'll just cause the bars to fail that much faster.

you need new bars no keys.

Last edited:

zigsz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I don't know about the guy from Rough Country, but I've had keys on my bars for 2 years... haven't had any further issues with sag and the ride is just fine :shrug:

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
tons of others said the same thing as the rough country guy, no increased height and nothing but increased wear and tear.

I mean rough country sells keys and I'd think he' want to sell them for the company to make money but he didn't.

Now for myself, that's only info I've read online, I myself have sagging bars and have them bottomed out, one side anyways, and I'm ovr a 1/4 off the droop stops.

Mine rides horrible, very stiff. I did wonder if I could use keys to go higher though. Mine doesn't have a block in the back.

lastly the thing I don't get is you are actuall cranking around 4 inches to level it out with blocks, trucks have a 2 inch or so lower front end stock so ading a 2 inch rear block makes the front then 4 inches lower and thus a 4 inch crank to level.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
First of all, was the front end off the ground when you did this or did you get under it and start cranking?

zigsz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
tons of others said the same thing as the rough country guy, no increased height and nothing but increased wear and tear.

I mean rough country sells keys and I'd think he' want to sell them for the company to make money but he didn't.

Now for myself, that's only info I've read online, I myself have sagging bars and have them bottomed out, one side anyways, and I'm ovr a 1/4 off the droop stops.

Mine rides horrible, very stiff. I did wonder if I could use keys to go higher though. Mine doesn't have a block in the back.

lastly the thing I don't get is you are actuall cranking around 4 inches to level it out with blocks, trucks have a 2 inch or so lower front end stock so ading a 2 inch rear block makes the front then 4 inches lower and thus a 4 inch crank to level.

I'm not trying to start a pissing match man... I'm just giving my own experience. My truck came level from the factory, or at least it was when I got it.... And, when I got it and prior to my cranking, my CV's were flat and no rear block. When I cranked/blocked, I got about 2" but my driver bolt was maxed and my passenger side was almost maxed. I put on new "lift" keys and my adjustment bolts went back to the way they looked when they were in their stock location but with the additional crank that I had when my stock keys/bolts were maxed.

When I put on my Pro Comp 6", I used the stock keys again just like I should. I adjusted everything to level and called it good. After a while, my suspension settled and I had to put crank back in my bars to get back to where my lift was when I installed it. And again, it was the same story this time around with my truck as it was when it was stock (stock keys maxed). I put my lift keys back on to get my adjustment bolts back down to their stock (but with lift kit) location. Now, my front end is back to the way it was when I installed my lift with very, VERY, minor crank (nearly flat angles) and everything rides the way it did when I first got my truck a.k.a. prior to me screwing with it at all. I've been riding around this was for over 2 years....