LED Gauge Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:eek: I have yet to delve into the mysteries of the HVAC control board, so maybe wait till I get to where I can "bookworm" the service manual.

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ahh that sucks man maybe see if you can fnd a buddies hvac unit to swap in and see if that fixes it. at least then you'd know if it was the hvac circuit board. I really think it would be one of the boards before the wiring harness. it could even be as simple as a resistor burning out from the one led going "poof" on you. Circuit boards are pretty much hit or miss so one component goes out and the rest of it is pretty much **** unless u can replace that one component. I work at a dealership and have to deal with stuff like this from time to time and the easiest way is to swap out parts if you can and test before actually buying them. Best of luck and keep us posted maybe something you find and say will spark an idea from us.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It sucks cuz all these things you're saying I don't have the first clue how to check for like the resistor thing you just said sounds just as good of a possibility as any i've heard! UGH sucks not knowing ****. I've got another HVAC unit I can get a hold of. How do I check or replace a resistor??? BET that's it. If not that, then it's the circuit board.

Question, I just got my ac charged and the little ac button lights wont come on but the main thing is the AC is stuck on blowing up by the windshield regardless of if I set it otherwise. It's like it's stuck up there and I cut grass all week so I really want the AC in my face lol could this somehow be related to this wiring issue? OR is it more of a manual thing I need to fix....Lemme know your thoughts fellas.

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the resistor would be part of the circuit board and typically you would see a burnt spot on the circuit board. Theres a lot of components on circuit boards and a resistor is just an example of one. If i were you i would just swap the hvac unit and see if that fixes it. The a/c only blowing through the defrost sounds like an actuator problem. Typically when you cant switch from defrost to vent to floor its a bad actuator that flips the vents within the dash that redirect the flow of air to what ever location you select (dash vents, floor, etc..) Does it only blow through the defrost regardless of the settings? And does the a/c actually work (can you hear the a/c compressor kick on under the hood?)

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Uh yeah it stays on defrost regardless of where I put it but if the electrical is messed up couldn't it cause the actuator to not kick on? I have a "donor" truck that I can get the AC out of soon I JUST NEEED TO KNOW HOW TO PULL THE HVAC CONTROLS WITH THE SWITCHBOARD OUT WITHOUT BREAKING ANYTHING?

Also, yea the AC works and compressor kicks on.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey man, I've been delayed due to a couple things happening today so I won't be home until Monday. Sorry man.

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea i would say something in the hvac controls fried and that is messing it up. it should be real easy to pull out

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's real easy to pull out and I did and I had one to replace it with but turns out my 95 HVAC is ONLY in 95. Any years before or prior are completely different. So the replacement looked the same from the face but nothing near the same. I plan on replacing the whole dang thing. Circuit board, hvac face, everything. If THAT doesn't fix it then I'm gonna have one hell of a headache. The problem is CK resto sells them but for about $150-200 easy....And I don't know how easy it would be to find a 95 in a junkyard....Anyway, maybe this weekend I can go by a junkyard and pull something...Def don't want to pay $200 just so I can have some lights in my damn HVAC...

I see alot of guys put the LEDs in the HVAC with NO problems and I'm wondering if there's something different in the 95's like maybe not having resistors built in to support the one LED I tried to put in??? Seems like this would of happened to some other guys with 95's though if that was the case...Tried searching and of course nothing. I sure do help yall's patience and help. MOBS and Tloud, I would think a replacement HVAC controls should fix this right? If it wasn't that what else could it be? Anyway, if the junkyard be open on saturdays I'm gonna find one....

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What could it be?! Operator error? just kidding, lol. Now that you mention 95 being totally different, I've decided to NOT put my new led's in my HVAC controls....or atleast I'll check them with a multimeter to see what their ratings are first so I know if they'll draw too much current or if they'll pop and cause my HVAC or cluster to go "psssst".

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What could it be?! Operator error? just kidding, lol
haha the new leds should have built in resistors and i know the ones from superbright do. Without a resistor it would just burn up instantly. Maybe the one led you said went poof on you had a bad resistor and that could have caused a short somewhere within the circuit board when it burnt up. I would think if its anything different from the hvac unit itself it would've blown a fuse or at least should have. I dont know where exactly you live but if you go to www.car-part.com it will show you if any junkyards or auto places have it in your area. I use that site at work all the time its pretty nice. Good Luck!