LED Gauge Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay I can get all of that information but I tried putting regular bulbs back in and still no lights. I just need to know what I need to do to get the lights working again....Any ideas? Can someone PLEASE help answer that? I want to go ahead and replace or do whatever it is that needs fixing since it blew???

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, check all the sockets to make sure none are burned across the contacts, then after checking all appropriate fuses, check the plugins where the wiring harnesses plug into the instrument panel, if you're for sure your instrument panel circuit board is fine(checked with another one that's known to work?) then I won't have you remove and check it for burnt sections. Stuff just doesn't magically quit unless there's either 1) no power, 2) broken circuit(fuse/burnt contacts), or 3) bad ground. I'm confident you'll find the problem, just check voltage across the contact points, if it's getting ANY juice, then that tells you it's not a completely broken circuit, it could just be either dirty/corroded/burnt contacts or one of the "flat-wires" on the circuit is bent/partially torn causing low power.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so no matter what I shouldn't have to have the whole thing re-wired or replaced. Bottom line I can get it working by checking all of what you said? Reason I say that is I'm terrible @ wiring and stuff, I've just never learned about it. Got my buddy that knows a good deal about wiring working on the truck and I'm going to show him what you wrote and see if it sparks anything with him because we've already tried a completely different cluster (didn't work) checked all the fuses (theyre all good) and any relays...So with that info can u narrow her down?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If all fuses are good and the panel is ok and all relays are good, then I would say it's somewhere in your wiring harness or the connectors that plug-in to your cluster. Have him check for power from the cluster plugins, tell him to use the body(steering column bolts) as a ground, if ya find power that way, leave the hot one in the socket and run the negative to each contact, if no power shows, then it tells ya it isn't getting a good ground somewhere. If no power after checking with steering column bolts as grounds, then I would first check a shop manual(might find a pdf one online) to see what it says about cluster lights not working, because I'm not sure if there are any fusible links or not in that harness. A fusible link is technically a fuse soldered into a wire so when it pops, the fused link has to either be replaced with a new one, or a buss fuse block installed(allows for easy checking and changing of fuses).

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be back home in 2-3 days so i can check my manual for ya, or one of these other techies with manuals can check before then. My manual is for the 96+ vortec engines(95+ dash), so I'm not 100% on how compatible the troubleshooting will be. Oh I see your's is a 95, then yeah, hopefully it'll work.

Last edited:

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah man thank you and remember miines 95 but it's TBI so it doesnt have the same PCM as the vortec motors but the gauage cluster and all should be very similar. Didn't know if that'd matter or not.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, in my opinion the 95 was the best of both worlds when it comes to interior style and maintenance ease. The old school mechanics can easily "tinker" with a tbi engine without feeling overwhelmed when they open the hood. I love my 95, and I'll love my new project soon as I get the 427 finished and installed....bought it from a member without any drivetrain, gonna copycat draggin and extend and drop it, CCSB fleetside is what I'm going for. The engine is an extremely mild build with only a Performer Low Profile dual TBI intake, twin 500cfm TBIs, 315/118 heads, 218/218 cam, 7.8:1, full roller, etc....I'm aiming at the old 1hp/1ci goal.

Last edited:

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm with you man! Alot of guys call the 95 the ******* year, but personally I love it as well. There's a part of me that's obsessed with the newer generation type stuff with complete computer control but there's also a side of me that loves the fact that my setup is extremely reliable and easy to maintain. However, this little electrical problem is giving me fits. It kills me too because I'm finally getting everything fixed (AC, tie rods, etc.) tmrw and I have NO lights at night. I hate this. I will show my mechanic buddy everything you said and maybe a light bulb will go on but I doubt it. I'll let ya know what he says.

Buckshot

Reaction score
Quick question, Does anyone happen to know what size bulbs I need for the HVAC controls, headlight switch and how many for each? It's for a '98 C1500? I'm just about to put an order in and those two items have me at a stand still.

slim

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the HVAC is a T1.5 and i believe it takes 4. idk about the headlight switch.

also, anybody ever tried using like 2 different colors for the gauges? for example have the speedo red and the tach and other gauges blue?