LED Gauge Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
found the problem the overlay has a green tint built into it. thats whats blocking the red from coming through. O well.

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not i sir i'm from the memphis area so i know about the heat and humidity but the wife....o man she's gonna suffer shes from montana lol.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sooo...I went to do this mod thursday night. Everything was working with regular bulbs prior and I even bought new twistlocks for the back of the gauge cluster. I go to put all the LEDs in the gauge cluster and nothiing, not even a flicker. I got fed up with that so I then went to put the first LED in the first HVAC bulb, and it went PUFF, little cloud of smoke, and burnt smell...SO here I am...We've tried the fuse in the door, good. We've tried putting in a whole new cluster, nothing. What the hell happened? I need my lights working!!!

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is a 95 so my HVAC lights are the tiny little 74 style lights. I thought it was weird that the guage did not illuminate AT ALL (and I've put led's in it before and they worked, and this is with the new twistlocks that worked fine with reg bulbs that came with them) then I go to put the first LED in the first HVAC socket and PUFF! I did have the HVAC lights on when I did this to make sure I had the bulb facing the right way....Any ideas where to go from here? I already checked door fuse and tried a whole new cluster.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the LED you got for the HVAC wasn't high enough voltage and fried instantly.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I know that something fried but what noone can answer is what fried, and what I have to do to fix it? :uhoh2: someone please help...

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have another of those LEDs like the one that fried, see if you can pull some sort of ID/model numbers off the bulb, then google them to see what they're rated at. It could be they accidentally used 6volt LEDs(had that happen recently), or the built-in resistor wasn't attached correctly, or was fried.