I think somebody welded the o2 sensor. What do I do? 1995 c2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
O2 sensor tools that have a split down the side are good for installing the sensor. They may or may not be adequate for REMOVING the sensor.

I gave up. I bought a Wright deep-well, 6-point impact socket. Clip the wire, the Wright socket has broaching all the way down, so there's room in the socket for the sensor body (unlike most deep sockets that have shallow broaching, and no room for the sensor body.)

For the record, Wright is a family-owned, USA-manufacture tool company that doesn't get a lot of exposure because their primary market is industrial applications--mines, oil refinery, construction--not automotive. Their pricing is also much nicer than, for example, Snap-On.
www.amazon.com/dp/B002VKBRCC/?coliid=I3QM27R5Q6EZ28&colid=2VLYZKC3HBBDO&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it
wright makes great tools, most of all my 3/4 stuff is wright. I had a 3/4 ratchet that survived a 5ft cheater pipe breaking a head bolt loose. It has a crescent shape afterwards but the teeth never skipped.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
When I did the driver's side O2 on my truck, I bought a handful of tools to do it. I don't remember what actually broke it free.... may have been my big Crescent wrench, but I used one of the special tools to unscrew it all the way. I had to very carefully run a tap through to clean up the threads.

The O2 on my Volvo 850 was much easier. It was no more difficult than a spark plug on a push mower. It took me longer to get the wire into it's place and fastened properly.

Sam454

Reaction score
O2 sensor tools that have a split down the side are good for installing the sensor. They may or may not be adequate for REMOVING the sensor.

I gave up. I bought a Wright deep-well, 6-point impact socket. Clip the wire, the Wright socket has broaching all the way down, so there's room in the socket for the sensor body (unlike most deep sockets that have shallow broaching, and no room for the sensor body.)

For the record, Wright is a family-owned, USA-manufacture tool company that doesn't get a lot of exposure because their primary market is industrial applications--mines, oil refinery, construction--not automotive. Their pricing is also much nicer than, for example, Snap-On.
www.amazon.com/dp/B002VKBRCC/?coliid=I3QM27R5Q6EZ28&colid=2VLYZKC3HBBDO&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it
I used the emergency jack and the box end of a wrench. Worked surprisingly well

Sam454

Reaction score
I replaced all mine last summer. Mine came out easy with only 80k on them, but I still recommend using an o2 socket like this.
TEKTON 3/8 Inch Drive x 7/8 Inch Offset 6-Point Oxygen Sensor Socket | 47749, Original Version
https://a.co/d/0iTGmwen
And the reason I replaced them was to avoid the “weld”. Also, gained 3 mpg.
I tapped the heater wire into the power for the fuel pump. Only draws about 3 amps so it shouldn’t overload the circuit