I think somebody welded the o2 sensor. What do I do? 1995 c2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced all mine last summer. Mine came out easy with only 80k on them, but I still recommend using an o2 socket like this.
TEKTON 3/8 Inch Drive x 7/8 Inch Offset 6-Point Oxygen Sensor Socket | 47749, Original Version
https://a.co/d/0iTGmwen
And the reason I replaced them was to avoid the “weld”. Also, gained 3 mpg.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
O2 sensor tools that have a split down the side are good for installing the sensor. They may or may not be adequate for REMOVING the sensor.

I gave up. I bought a Wright deep-well, 6-point impact socket. Clip the wire, the Wright socket has broaching all the way down, so there's room in the socket for the sensor body (unlike most deep sockets that have shallow broaching, and no room for the sensor body.)

For the record, Wright is a family-owned, USA-manufacture tool company that doesn't get a lot of exposure because their primary market is industrial applications--mines, oil refinery, construction--not automotive. Their pricing is also much nicer than, for example, Snap-On.
www.amazon.com/dp/B002VKBRCC/?coliid=I3QM27R5Q6EZ28&colid=2VLYZKC3HBBDO&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They work just fine removing one that isn’t “welded” in. O2 sensors probably should be replaced before that happens anyway, but that’s not always the case apparently. :banghead:
That Wright socket likely is the right choice for OP though!

Last edited:

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey @Sam454 .
I swore mine was welded in as well, but it wasn't.
Mine took soaking in penetrating oil for a few days, heated the crap out of the bung with a MAP gas torch. As my wire was extended already due to it having to go down in the header, I snipped the wire and slid the box end of the wrench over. And then a BUNCH of smacks with a 8lb sledge to get it to move.
Don't bother trying the open end of a wrench, it just spreads and pops off.
So don't be afraid to go a bit

Hey @Sam454 .
I swore mine was welded in as well, but it wasn't.
Mine took soaking in penetrating oil for a few days, heated the crap out of the bung with a MAP gas torch. As my wire was extended already due to it having to go down in the header, I snipped the wire and slid the box end of the wrench over. And then a BUNCH of smacks with a 8lb sledge to get it to move.
Don't bother trying the open end of a wrench, it just spreads and pops off.
So don't be afraid to go a bit neanderthal on it.
Similar process I use here in the Northeast with one exception - don’t bother with a wrench or socket. Use a pipe wrench. Wire brush it, torch it, and hit the pipe wrench with a heavy hammer until it moves. Once it moves, work it back and forth while adding penetrating oil. Much like tapping threads. This one’s a piece of cake.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Similar process I use here in the Northeast with one exception - don’t bother with a wrench or socket. Use a pipe wrench. Wire brush it, torch it, and hit the pipe wrench with a heavy hammer until it moves. Once it moves, work it back and forth while adding penetrating oil. Much like tapping threads. This one’s a piece of cake.
Couldn't find my pipe wrench that day, I'm sure my boy took it somewhere, but I sure as hell grabbed HIS wrench when I broke out the sledge!!! Sure wasn't using mine!!!! Lol
Screw you Josh!!!! Lol