Howdy, machinist by trade, jack at mechanics.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I saw that too. In spite of the spelling, a Texan would know better, hence my question if it was meant as a joke that I don't understand.
Old joke I heard years ago: Don't ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, you'll know; if he isn't, you'll embarrass him.

big bird

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from southern Virginia!

Sounds like you have a nice shop planned.

Speaking of Starrett, this is one of my very favorite tools, which I acquired when I had the good fortune to work as a trim carpenter:

You must be registered for see images attach
Mine's bigger.

Love Starrett tooling. Paid for it as well. American made precision equipment isn't cheap. Most of it I bought through paycheck deduction, some I got at pawnshops and trade.

I've got my Kennedy top box at my new neighbors, the Kennedy roll around is in storage in Alabama.

I'll make a tool post when I'm able. Will be a while.

Got a caliper from the 1880's, IIRC.

big bird

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool,a fellow machinist. I've got a 12" Atlas/Clausing that was made in the 50's. It's a nice tight machine with good ways.
You'd laugh at my milling machine. 1920's Columbia power feed drill press with a Palmgren mill table. Friggin thing weighs close to 1000lbs. Works pretty good but I'm limited to about .050" DOC on steel.
Sounds like you'll have plenty of venison this winter.

Nice. My lathe is only a 6", but I've got all the bells and whistles for it including milling attachment. Oilite headstock bearings so it's pre '44.

I wouldn't laugh at your mill, I don't have one yet. But, yeah, drill presses don't handle side pressure well. Accurate drilling gets you a long way.

I'm hoping to buy a Fadal mill and get it running cherry. Fadal is the best control with Fanuc being a close second.

Will also pick up a knee mill and larger lathe.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. My lathe is only a 6", but I've got all the bells and whistles for it including milling attachment. Oilite headstock bearings so it's pre '44.

I wouldn't laugh at your mill, I don't have one yet. But, yeah, drill presses don't handle side pressure well. Accurate drilling gets you a long way.

I'm hoping to buy a Fadal mill and get it running cherry. Fadal is the best control with Fanuc being a close second.

Will also pick up a knee mill and larger lathe.
I'm with you on the knee mill. There's a Grizzly sitting on a porch about 20 miles from me that I've been trying to talk the guy out of for about a year now. It ain't no Bridgeport but it would mill better than my drill press.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm with you on the knee mill. There's a Grizzly sitting on a porch about 20 miles from me that I've been trying to talk the guy out of for about a year now. It ain't no Bridgeport but it would mill better than my drill press.
Oh man......I miss getting the Grizzly catalogues.
Stopped getting them when they started charging for them, which I don't blame them for. It costs a lot to produce and mail, especially to Canada.
But being a carpenter, and wanna be all things metal worker PLUS the gun stuff....pure tool ****!
Something about a phone book full of tools.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been using scales and mics for so long i almost can't even stand to use a tape measure.
No fUC#### wonder my house is not level and square as im sure it was built using a tape measure.
Well......to be fair, the carpenters USUALLY make the framing square. It's the friggin drywallers that "mess it up". Lol
They put the corner beads on that sit proud of the boards. And then they mud it to blend in.
That's where you lose your 90⁰ corners.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome from WV. Sounds like you've got a plate full of work and projects. As noted already, lots if helpful folks on here and good information to boot. I've got a toolbox full of machine tools I need some equipment for.

carpenters USUALLY make the framing square
The one's that framed my house must not have been taught to read a square or stringline for that matter. I've got doorways where the sill plate didn't line up across the opening (with drywall off). Maybe it was framed by the drywall guys?