How long will they last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have always driven older cars. My take is all cars have a depreciation curve. You buy new the value drops quick and then if properly maintained it will slow down in a few years till eventually they start to appreciate in value if taken care of. This just happened recently with the square bodies. They were old used trucks 10 years ago but are now increasing enough for people to start restoring rough examples. My 98 c-1500 I paid $2300.00 for and have fixed anything broken and repainted a few years back is worth at least $5000 now even with 90,000 miles added on.
The last new truck I bought my wife was a $68k 2018 Ford Expedition. After making a couple years of $1000 a month payments and watching its value drop, I realized I was stupid and a $1000 a month towards parts in an OBS suburban would make a really nice truck! I will not get all my money back, but her suburban at least is going up in value. All I own is classics now, no more new garbage!

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My current project truck has a broken odometer but it stopped at 260k

And i know many people have high miles.

But i am slowing finding out that its going to cost 3k or so just to refresh the interior with new carpet, seats seat belts and other things.
So i just figured that at some point they would just be to old for anyone to want to redo them.
I completely swapped my interior from red to gray. I purchased the complete gray interior plastics and dash from a wrecking yard for $300. I bought leather captains chairs for $200, and a leather rear seat for $100. New carpet for $200, and I recovered the headliner my self. 02 center console for $80. I sold my red interior for $600. Its a ton of work, but it looks really nice. Took me a week to finish the swap.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I completely swapped my interior from red to gray. I purchased the complete gray interior plastics and dash from a wrecking yard for $300. I bought leather captains chairs for $200, and a leather rear seat for $100. New carpet for $200, and I recovered the headliner my self. 02 center console for $80. I sold my red interior for $600. Its a ton of work, but it looks really nice. Took me a week to finish the swap.
That is really nice! Incredible job! I am collecting parts to do a similar swap to our Suburban. I am thinking 3 tone and leave some red.

RonSoCal

Reaction score
I bought my 1997 GMC C1500 Suburban new in 1996. I currently have 346,000 miles on the engine with one recall for intake gaskets. Still gets the same mileage as factory new and has had a Hypertek reprogrammer since bought. Always passes the biannual smog check here in California and I handle all the maintenance myself. I look at the new Chevy and GMC offerings and don't want to spend more than my first home for a truck. I intend keeping my Suburban because I can repair any problem in my shop. As others have stated the available replacement parts are drying up at the local pick-a-part yards

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought my 1997 GMC C1500 Suburban new in 1996. I currently have 346,000 miles on the engine with one recall for intake gaskets. Still gets the same mileage as factory new and has had a Hypertek reprogrammer since bought. Always passes the biannual smog check here in California and I handle all the maintenance myself. I look at the new Chevy and GMC offerings and don't want to spend more than my first home for a truck. I intend keeping my Suburban because I can repair any problem in my shop. As others have stated the available replacement parts are drying up at the local pick-a-part yards
Nice, share some pics, we would love to see it!

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is really nice! Incredible job! I am collecting parts to do a similar swap to our Suburban. I am thinking 3 tone and leave some red.
I'm really happy with the outcome, but honestly, if I could go back, I don't know if I would do it again. It was a ton of work. I think I would have just installed new black carpet, and maybe a black headliner and called it a day. My red interior was in really good shape. I do love the gray though! No regrets, it was just a ton of work! Everyone should get their hands on a NBS center console though! Its so nice having decent cup holders.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FIFY.

Pretty-much any time recent administrations have screwed with the Free Market, it's been a damned disaster.
And all that seems like a dry run for what “some” are proposing.
e.g.-food price controls

Last edited: