How long will they last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, Dorothy; even the Chevy Beretta has a performance following --- RWD LS swap etc

SrFiss

Reaction score
Well, here in Brazil, GM only brought the GMT400 platform from 1997 to 2001, and from 1997 to 1999 they were manufactured in Córdoba Argentina and imported to Brazil. From 1999 to 2001, GM started to manufacture these pickup trucks here in Brazil, However, this lasted until 2001 and due to low sales the GMT400 platform was discontinued here. However, with each passing year these pickup trucks are gaining value due to the ease of preparing their diesel engine, which can easily exceed 450 hp, so recently some companies began to produce interior finishing parts due to the chronic problem of dashboard cracking, We also suffer from a lack of original parts and the replacement market offers low quality parts that come from China and even so, these pickup trucks are still in activity, including being used for work, So In the land of their conception, these pickups can be said to last forever. But the global trend is for these pickups to stop being used for work and become a collector's item in a few years. (Sorry for my bad English, I'am using Google translator)

mountie

I sold my '88 C2500 to a happy guy in Germany
Reaction score
My current project truck has a broken odometer but it stopped at 260k

And i know many people have high miles.

But i am slowing finding out that its going to cost 3k or so just to refresh the interior with new carpet, seats seat belts and other things.
So i just figured that at some point they would just be to old for anyone to want to redo them.
3 GRAND to refresh the interior ? Uh,.... a tad pricey.....

mountie

I sold my '88 C2500 to a happy guy in Germany
Reaction score
3 GRAND to refresh the interior ? Uh,.... a tad pricey.....
A quality transmission: $2,200. Crate engine ( 5.7 ) About $2,00 + R&R..

Then your truck is NEW. ( EASY to maintain (...You just saved $25,000 plus on a replacement truck.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Folks still show Dusenbergs and Ford Model Ts.

I worry more about Government making it impractical to own old vehicles more than I worry about the vehicles deteriorating naturally.

As soon as Government forces tight/restrictive emissions inspections on old vehicles, they'll disappear like smoke. Try to find an older Semi-truck in California.

Every Government in the history of the entire Earth has become so corrupt that it's society crumbles, given enough time. THIS country does not need "open borders", more "welfare", or tax-funded "everything".
Right on Schurkey!

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have always driven older cars. My take is all cars have a depreciation curve. You buy new the value drops quick and then if properly maintained it will slow down in a few years till eventually they start to appreciate in value if taken care of. This just happened recently with the square bodies. They were old used trucks 10 years ago but are now increasing enough for people to start restoring rough examples. My 98 c-1500 I paid $2300.00 for and have fixed anything broken and repainted a few years back is worth at least $5000 now even with 90,000 miles added on.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 98 has 265,000 miles on it. I put a new transmission in at 205,000 and I rebuilt the engine at 258,000 miles. I upgraded the brakes to a hydroboost system and installed rear discs from a GMT800 truck. Its got lots of power and stops like a champ. No reason to get rid if it. I plan on daily driving this old girl for the very very long foreseeable future..