Help me out here please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
pull your fan shroud off and look around, all the coolant hoses (bypass, lower radiator, overflow line, etc) are in the general area and are all rubber, rubber deteriorates and can crack and leak, if its passenger side up near the block I'd suspect something like the water pump/gasket, or where the lower radiator hose connects to the waterpump, perhaps the hose is just old and sprung a leak, it could also be something like the thermostat housing. while you're there looking check out the hoses and just see if any of them look old. even if they're not leaking it would be worth replacing them.

I would doubt its a intake or head gasket, when those fail they tend to fail and leak coolant or oil internally somewhere, not to say it COULDNT happen, but IME its unlikely that it would just start spraying coolant. I'd put my money on A) hose leaking somewhere, B) waterpump gasket, C) thermostat housing, or D) maybe a freeze plug.

there's also a chance that the radiator plastic ends have a small crack somewhere that is only opening up when under pressure, and since the steam is coming from behind the alternator, it could be something like it is spraying a little coolant onto the exhaust manifolds or something. thats not the most likely scenario either, but possible.

Beautiful answer, very well explained.

Again, I appreciate anyone and everyone who posts in any of my threads with help regarding my situation of the time being.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have the Stat changed while it's at the shop. Pressure test the cooling system.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if it is pissing it out pretty good like you describe, the motor would look like something obvious is wrong. Its going to be a hose or something stupid. You just need to figure out the what it is.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
I looked under it before I took it to shop while it was running, I looked up at Idler arm and steering linkage, there was a steady DRIP DRIP DRIP DRIP, I guess it's not really Pissing, unless you have a kidney stone, your stream would be a lot faster then the leak. I could NOT get a good look at where it was coming from, so much **** in the way, anyways engine still runs good, just a leak that drains my whole radiator after about 30 miles. If it was a head gasket or intake gasket, wouldn't compression be bad causing it to have a really lopey idle?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would think so if the intake or head gasket was messed up becaise it would be letting air in or out.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
lmfao!!!!!! So that is the best description ever... drip drip drip, so as fast or slow as I read it the more or less your truck is leaking

Reaction score
:lol: ,...........and not necessarily on the gasket, it can leak only on the outside and never cause any interference with the oil or piston chambers. I still think its a pin hole in a hose or something tho..

Reaction score
Drip,drip, drip.........or a ....drip...............................drip.......................................drip.....................................drip...or more like a ..................................................................drip..................................................................................................................................................................................................drip.................................................................................................................................drip..........................................................................................................................................drip....LMAO! JK!