Going to hydraulic roller cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an L98 on my engine stand that I've been working on putting together. I bought a factory Vortec cam and all the roller cam bits from Pull-A-Part dirt cheap. Then I spent $116 on a set of Elgin long-slot self-aligning stamped 1.6:1 rockers. The specs end up being just as strong as the Summit 8800, but for $160 less.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stock engine needs a tune in my opinon. Otherwise they were weak and sucked fuel.
The motor in my 93 was swapped over a decade ago with a new crate engine. Found out not too long ago it has a roller cam and rockers....guessing L98..... Still the 193 heads.... Always wondered if it should have had a tune.
The prom would be different in it if it had right?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My research says the L98s came with aluminum heads, except the Marine L98s which came with iron 217 heads. That's what I have. I was able to identify the engine from the flat-tappet camshaft. Early L98s used a flat tappet and later L98s had a roller cam. I don't know if there was ever a flat-tappet, iron head L98.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

uhhhpooo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Go with whatever you want, as @L31MaxExpress said, there's always "meat on the bones" left in a stock tune, especially one with some go fast parts. Plan on tuning it.

Check to make sure your valve springs are sufficient for roller application in rate and clearance.
sounds good so i can pick the 8800 cam or the ramjet350 one that would work but plan to tune it down the line but they will work with the factory tbi computer, the heads are being sent out since it blew a head gasket so they will be gone through and make sure they are good

Last edited: