Going to hydraulic roller cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uhhhpooo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 94 motor drilled for the hydraulic roller, going use factory vortech pushrods, vortech lifters, and factory vortech cam, i just can’t find everything, so could you guys link the parts, already found the spider, the can retainer plate and the crows foot and the distributor gear, thanks

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. No "h" in Vortec.
2. Those parts will be "thick on the ground" at any Treasure Yard; and you'd get the whole works of them for 1/10 the price of new. Consider buying a semi-complete engine--a rod knock or a frozen/cracked block wouldn't hurt any of the pieces you're looking for, but you might get the whole works for $50 or so.
3. Don't forget the timing set.
4. You have a TBI. You already have a suitable distributor gear, unless it's showing excessive wear (unlikely.)
5. I have no idea what you mean by "crows foot".

uhhhpooo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1. No "h" in Vortec.
2. Those parts will be "thick on the ground" at any Treasure Yard; and you'd get the whole works of them for 1/10 the price of new. Consider buying a semi-complete engine--a rod knock or a frozen/cracked block wouldn't hurt any of the pieces you're looking for, but you might get the whole works for $50 or so.
3. Don't forget the timing set.
4. You have a TBI. You already have a suitable distributor gear, unless it's showing excessive wear (unlikely.)
5. I have no idea what you mean by "crows foot".
i didn’t know you needed a different timing set, i just bought a double roller for the tbi, the block i was supposed to put it on isn’t any good and didn’t have the provision

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
You have a TBI. You already have a suitable distributor gear, unless it's showing excessive wear (unlikely.)
I have no idea what you mean by "crows foot".
I thought all roller cams required a melonized or hardened steel or composite distributor gear do the tbi distributors come stock with them I think the op means the dog bones that go on the lifters that the spider holds down
You must be registered for see images attach

uhhhpooo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought all roller cams required a melonized or hardened steel or composite distributor gear do the tbi distributors come stock with them I think the op means the dog bones that go on the lifters that the spider holds down
You must be registered for see images attach
yea you do have to get a melonized gear

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. The OEM roller cam has a step-nose, which allows the thrust to be set via the thrust-plate. THEREFORE, the bolt-circle for the cam gear is smaller than flat-tappet, or non-step-nose roller cams. GM sells a timing set that includes both the early- and late-design thrust plates, plus the bolts to put it together.
www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12371043

2. When I bought my Caprice TBI "service replacement" roller-cam crate engine, I was told that all TBI distributors had a melonized gear. I've seen nothing since then to make me think this is incorrect.

uhhhpooo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1. The OEM roller cam has a step-nose, which allows the thrust to be set via the thrust-plate. THEREFORE, the bolt-circle for the cam gear is smaller than flat-tappet, or non-step-nose roller cams. GM sells a timing set that includes both the early- and late-design thrust plates, plus the bolts to put it together.
www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12371043

2. When I bought my Caprice TBI "service replacement" roller-cam crate engine, I was told that all TBI distributors had a melonized gear. I've seen nothing since then to make me think this is incorrect.
dang that sucks, wish it was the same oh well guess i will either sell my double roller or keep it for another project

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
well the good news is that you do not need to change distributor gear @Schurkey says all tbi distributors come with melonized gear