Ghost in the machine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

"Sparkle someone else's eys"
Reaction score
So today I get in my truck (90 C1500) after work. Start it up and after a short time the radio goes dead. At first I thought the station was off air for a bit as it's been doing that from time to time lately. So I TRY to change stations... Thought it was weird that no station number was being displayed. I hear this odd clicking noise that comes and goes and discovered the cassette player was "active".

I messed around with it a bit but couldn't get it to stop doing whatever it was doing. So I guess I'm finally going to be forced to put something else in.

What would be kind of a budget radio and speakers that some of you guys and gals are using? I guess I'm looking for a middle of the road system. My ears do not hear high frequency now. To many Guns, Go Carts and model airplanes I guess!!

Thanks!!

Ken

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So today I get in my truck (90 C1500) after work. Start it up and after a short time the radio goes dead. At first I thought the station was off air for a bit as it's been doing that from time to time lately. So I TRY to change stations... Thought it was weird that no station number was being displayed. I hear this odd clicking noise that comes and goes and discovered the cassette player was "active".

I messed around with it a bit but couldn't get it to stop doing whatever it was doing. So I guess I'm finally going to be forced to put something else in.

What would be kind of a budget radio and speakers that some of you guys and gals are using? I guess I'm looking for a middle of the road system. My ears do not hear high frequency now. To many Guns, Go Carts and model airplanes I guess!!

Thanks!!

Ken
You must be registered for see images attach

Snagged the deck and 4x6's from the big Canadian national all things kinda store.
Think maybe it was $300ish if I remember correctly.
Car audio stuff has become so inexpensive now, it's amazing. Obviously not a competition setup, but it gets the job done for now until I install all the fun stuff.
Check out Cruchfield. They have a search feature that tells you what fits. And they send adapters, harnesses and stuff so no hacking factory wiring.

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
1000% correct @99xcss4 .
I just posted what I had, definitely a budget system. That excelion stuff from Kenwood is awesome stuff. But at this time, my budget was better served in other ways on my build. I could easily drop 5k+ in a heartbeat on a components for a wicked system.
I know I will be spending some money on the audio system I would call it a small to medium budget have a skar rp 2000.1d going to get a dual 12 front firing under seat box 1.4 cubic ft per chamber going to get 2 kicker comp r dual 4 wired to 1 ohm going to get the kenwood I linked doing dual batteries and big 3 and a ebay 300 amp alternator going to the skar tx46 the kickers I linked or the d4s 4x6s have not picked yet and am going to get a skar rp 75.4ab or or a rp 150.4ab or maybe a d4s jp84 another option is a kicker 4 channel have not picked yet

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is what I have in my 95 and 99 for a receiver
This is what I have in the doors of both trucks.
Are they the best no but they suit my needs. I don't listen to music much anymore. I Listen to books or podcasts so I don't need much.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know I will be spending some money on the audio system I would call it a small to medium budget have a skar rp 2000.1d going to get a dual 12 front firing under seat box 1.4 cubic ft per chamber going to get 2 kicker comp r dual 4 wired to 1 ohm going to get the kenwood I linked doing dual batteries and big 3 and a ebay 300 amp alternator going to the skar tx46 the kickers I linked or the d4s 4x6s have not picked yet and am going to get a skar rp 75.4ab or or a rp 150.4ab or maybe a d4s jp84 another option is a kicker 4 channel have not picked yet
To quote House of Pain.....Boom-sha-lak-lak- boom!!!!
"Sounds" like it's going be a wicked system, pun intended! Lol
I'm still thinking I'm dragging my GMs old system out of my Megacab. 2 Phoenix Gold 12's, and XS500 and 300 amps. That thing pounded in a reg cab. 980 rms. I still have the birth certificates.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
If the tape deck is doing weird stuff, you can just unplug it from the CDM to get your radio back... Chances are the belt loosened up and fell off, and the mechanism is doing whatever it likes in there activating the tape-on switch inside it.

kenh

"Sparkle someone else's eys"
Reaction score
If the tape deck is doing weird stuff, you can just unplug it from the CDM to get your radio back... Chances are the belt loosened up and fell off, and the mechanism is doing whatever it likes in there activating the tape-on switch inside it.
I was wondering about that. The radio needs replaced anyway as it cracks, pops and looses volume control sometimes. Half the buttons work on an as needed basis as determined by the radio and the weather!

Drunkcanuk, thanks for the reminder about Crutchfield. I've bought from before but it has been 20ish???? years. I'll give then a look see again!

Do the shallow radios still require that goofy looking new dash mounting panel?

Ken

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was wondering about that. The radio needs replaced anyway as it cracks, pops and looses volume control sometimes. Half the buttons work on an as needed basis as determined by the radio and the weather!

Drunkcanuk, thanks for the reminder about Crutchfield. I've bought from before but it has been 20ish???? years. I'll give then a look see again!

Do the shallow radios still require that goofy looking new dash mounting panel?

Ken
Not sure what you mean by shallow mount.
Got a pic?
But the factory cassette is not a DIN sized radio, so you most likely have to run one or modify your current one. If I remember correctly, that "bump out" actually screws on to the new one to get extra depth for the head unit. If you found a shallow din sized unit, maybe the bump doesn't need to go on.