Full exhaust replacement. Hrs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoez71

Reaction score
Finally got all my pieces to do the complete exhaust in my 99 2 door. Jba headers, Jegs y pipe, gibson cat back. Just looking at time wise to remove and install all new. I'm figuring the manifolds will be the biggest challenge. Been spraying the bolts every day for 2 weeks after work. Everything else will be cut off with a saws all. Brand new o2s, new egr pipe, all new bolts. I'm figuring 3-5 hrs. Any tips?

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally got all my pieces to do the complete exhaust in my 99 2 door. Jba headers, Jegs y pipe, gibson cat back. Just looking at time wise to remove and install all new. I'm figuring the manifolds will be the biggest challenge. Been spraying the bolts every day for 2 weeks after work. Everything else will be cut off with a saws all. Brand new o2s, new egr pipe, all new bolts. I'm figuring 3-5 hrs. Any tips?
I don't have any tips, but can you put a link to the headers?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm figuring 3-5 hrs. Any tips?
Double your expected time. If you finish early, it's a bonus.

Exhaust work always runs long, largely due to rusted fasteners and getting the pipes "final-positioned" before tightening clamps and hangers. It's not "hard" work, but it is very time-consuming at least when I do it.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't be afraid to use some heat.
Like Sean said, use a hammer as needed.
It took a glowing red bung, and an 8lb sledge to convince my O2 sensor to get moving.
And a extra set of hands, also floor jacks and stands will come in handy.
A roll of your favorite tie-wire for hanging it up.
And your favorite spray lube on the rubber hangers if you have them to slide the hangers in and out, makes a huge difference.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LOL. Four hours? ....figure all day....and if you beat that you got a winner.....converting to dual exhaust? Or are there existing hangers for left side? Anything rusty =. Will fight all the way, or break off to be drilled. Installing extra hangers?
On the ground on stands or have access to lift? Live in the rust is normal part of country? Ever did this task before?

Tahoez71

Reaction score
Ok. Here's an update. After soaking all the manifold bolts since a week before the beginning of this thread I finally broke free the last 2 last night. Passenger side 2 center bolts. Had to use a snap on bolt extractor because the heads got stripped. Actually took them out and installed arp bolts I had laying around the shop, weird they were the exact length I needed and only 2 of them. Jba headers and I know some asked, yes I do have arp bolts with the 5/16 6 point head for the headers. I have used these on other cars and they are a dream to tighten. So basically tm the manifolds will come off and everything is getting sawzalled off the car, even the egr line which I have been spraying both ends for almost 2 weeks. I will post up a before and after video of the way it sounds now, which is garbage. I will be timing this. Gonna try to beat that 4 hr time and this is on my back. Good thing the truck is leveled out. Someone asked for a link to the headers here that is :

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Luckily I do not have the rust issues here. Took about 1 hour to remove the manifolds and put Thorley tri-ys on the 87 G20. Took 20 minutes to remove the old exhaust with a sawzall, then took about 3 hours to build the exhaust to the rear axle. About 1 hour at the exhaust shop a day or two later to get the tail pipes fabricated over the axle. It took me the most time laying out the exhaust system how I wanted it, measuring everything 2-3x then cutting stuff to length. If it had been an actual pre-fabricated setup rather than a u-build it kit would have been much quicker in that regard.

The nice part about removing an old exhaust system that you are not planning to re-use any of is that it can quickly be removed by a metal blade in a reciprocating saw aka Sawzall.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Tahoez71

Reaction score
I’d say 4 hours realistically. Maybe less if you have access to a lift and also hopefully your motor mounts are in good shape and not worn/collapsed.

So this turned into a **** show. Just buttoned it up today. Was like a day and a half. I did it in a stone driveway on my back . You were right my motor mounts were shot. So out came the front diff. Add time to repaint the mounts and insert the poly ones. Did the trans one as well. Here is a pic of the mounts:

As you can see in the pics it decided to rain on that day too. I will post up more pics when I get home from work. Realistically if I didn't have to do the motor mounts, and remove the front diff this would have been less than a one day job. Northeast so pb blaster is your friend. On a side note this is my second kit from Gibson. Summit sending out a THIRD KIT as of today. The muffler when I finally got it in has a hole blown through one of the muffler inlets. I thought Gibson was a top notch company. No so I guess.