Fuel Pump Wiring Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbmoehl

Reaction score
My '92 C1500 Suburban doesn't trigger the fuel pump relay when the key is turned to the ON position, even for 2sec (or is it 10sec?). I've jumpered the connector (C to E) and can hear the pump running. I've also jumpered the relay at the battery and it clicks (D to F). With a test light i see there is power to the C part of the connector and to ground. I haven't put a meter on the connector D/F to see if there is power when the key is turned to ON. From looking through the wiring diagram the dark green (D) wire goes to the ECM and the F wire is essentially ground, but also seems to splice into a ground at the ECM. What i don't know is if there is an issue with the ECM or an ignition switch signal to the ECM to trigger the fp relay. What are your thoughts, what am i missing in my limited knowledge?

mbmoehl

Reaction score
My brother and I dug into this issue Monday and found the problem. We found two shorted wires near the electric connector attached to the fuel pump and fixed that, but it didn't solve the main issue of no fuel. So, we dropped the tank and pulled out the sending unit/pump. What we found was surprising, the hose that once connected the pump to the sending unit was completely melted away, must not have been rated for use in fuel. It was like the consistency of fresh caulk that had just skinned over. Also, the tank is rusted pretty bad inside. The plan now is to replace all of that and go from there.
You must be registered for see images attach