New To Me ‘97 c2500. How’s The Engine Sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seymorey

Reaction score
As the title says, I have acquired a new-to-me ‘97 c2500 Silverado and I’m hoping a trained ear, or someone that has experience with the Vortec 5.7, may lend his hand and tell me how the engine sounds:

This recording was taken from the tail pipe about 2 minutes after starting her.
168k kms on the clock.

As an untrained dummy that likes the sounds of engines, I can’t detect anything off, myself.

Seymorey

Reaction score
"How it sounds" will depend greatly on the type, and condition of the exhaust system.

Connect a scan tool, look at misfire counts. Fewer (as in "zero") is better.
I tried hooking up an ELM327 but could not get it to communicate with the ECU. Cigarette lighter fuse is okay, too.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I wouldnt put much faith in a $6 dongle from Walmart

If you want a good dongle, try an OBDlink MX+

I'm sure there are better ones out there now, but I've had that one for a few years and leave it plugged into my daily driver permanently. Every time I want to data log something or check codes, or display different gauges, or whatever... it works.

Edit... Here is a good thread about the Dash Command App that works well with the OBDlink MX+ dongle. Lots of features in there! And its free to use unless you want to get transmission temp, that will cost $10 to unlock

Last edited: