Found 2 cut wires in the engine bay in a section of plastic sleeve.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Didn’t even think of that, just thought it was missing a cap.
Is that something that is readily available from a parts shop. ( I should mention that i’m in the UK, not in the states.)
Yes, though from what sources in the UK - don't know. The switch screws onto the accumulator and is used for cutting out the A/C compressor when the pressure is too low. You can get the switch and a repair connector pigtail for about $25 total.. here, though.

Richard

Kevin99

Reaction score
Yes, though from what sources in the UK - don't know. The switch screws onto the accumulator and is used for cutting out the A/C compressor when the pressure is too low. You can get the switch and a repair connector pigtail for about $25 total.. here, though.

Richard
Thanks for that, i’m used to ordering kit from the states, its one of the accepted hassles of owning an american truck in the UK!, would the switch and pigtail be available from somewhere like O’Reilys or similar, also is it a standard part or do I need a part number? As I have a contract in Texas who might be able to get it if she knows were to go.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No idea what vehicle you’re working on. I don’t recognize this black plastic thing.
You must be registered for see images attach

I remember stumbling across this cover in a FSM diagram not that long ago, and I also wondered what it was,
because you just don't normally see them in the wild on an old warrior?

(taken from a '90 FSM, see upper LH corner for specifics.)

To the OP, looks like you have a real survivor / time machine on your hands. At least in the engine bay.
Normally you just don't see those plastic shields over the electrical Junction Block, for they were lost
long ago. Nice.

Last edited:

89RCLB

Old Dudes Rule
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember stumbling across this cover in a FSM diagram not that long ago, and I also wondered what it was,

To the OP, looks like you have a real survivor / time machine on your hands. At least in the engine bay.
Normally you just don't see those plastic shields over the electrical Junction Block, for they were lost
long ago. Nice.
Believe it or not, all three of my 89's still have that cover. I still see plenty of them in the treasure yards, too.

Kevin99

Reaction score

long ago. Nice.
Thanks, its been in the UK about 25 years, and seems to have only done about 70k miles the interior is really clean. I was told by the guy i bought it from, that it was owned by a film company over here, but as you say its very clean.

someotherguy

Reaction score
Thanks for that, i’m used to ordering kit from the states, its one of the accepted hassles of owning an american truck in the UK!, would the switch and pigtail be available from somewhere like O’Reilys or similar, also is it a standard part or do I need a part number? As I have a contract in Texas who might be able to get it if she knows were to go.
Yes, any auto parts store will carry them, though the pigtail may not be commonly stocked by everyone. I order stuff like this from Rockauto. You'll pay considerably more from a brick-n-mortar store.

Those Vortec guys don't know these older trucks. ;) (that cover disappeared with the change to the driver-side electrical center in 1995, which yes, is still TBI.. but foreshadowing of the coming Vortec setup)

Still got mine! I don't like the idea of a bunch of extra uncovered +12VDC connections just hanging around in the engine compartment.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Thanks, its been in the UK about 25 years, and seems to have only done about 70k miles the interior is really clean. I was told by the guy i bought it from, that it was owned by a film company over here, but as you say its very clean.
Very interesting! If that truck could talk, I bet it could tell some stories.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still see plenty of them in the treasure yards, too.

Treasure yards are like libraries. Some geographic areas are blessed with way better
than average destinations to help improve either your head space or personal mobility
for the right price.

Meanwhile, up here in upstate NY it's pretty slim pickings for the GMT400 vehicles.
Must be supply vs demand. Everything in my area is stripped clean -- always looks
like the locusts beat me to it. :0)

Congrats. Consider yourself lucky and count your blessings.

Color me green with envy. The chore truck needs lots of misc bits that are MIA here in upstate NY.
Gives me the idea of a scrapyard to scrapyard themed cross country road trip. I would enjoy the
overall experience much more than I should admit in public. And it looks like I should go west at least as
far as Falcon, CO in order to be sure that I hit the missing parts jackpot.
:0)

someotherguy

Reaction score
Are you still able to purchase R12 refrigerant over there? That's what your 1992 A/C uses, unless it's been converted to R134a. You can still get it here in the USA but it's prohibitively expensive since it's no longer lawful to manufacture. I think most of it probably comes from Mexico and I'm not sure I trust the sources. I converted my 1993 to R134a by replacing everything (system was overall in poor condition) with parts spec'd for a 1994 model which was first year for R134a from the factory.

Richard