Factory ICM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While we're on the subject of ICM's and coils has anybody tried NGK coils? I'm thinking when I drop in the 355 to replace the 33 year old coil.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you tried them?
Other than the original I’m still using, no. But on my 96, I do believe the original is a Delphi. At least the new Delphi is made in USA. I have a NOS Delphi on deck if and when needed.

Attachments

• IMG_7552.jpeg
    IMG_7552.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 5

TylerSteez

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck was abandoned for 15 years and I've been wanting to change the ICM for piece of mind as I get it back on the road. I have a DUI distributor in my Trans Am that I am happy with so I will probably go with one of their ICMs. My experience with them has been good aside from their initial curve for my engine being way off which I understand is difficult to nail on built engines the first go around. Shipped it back to them for a recurve and waited a few weeks but all is well now.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Other than the original I’m still using, no. But on my 96, I do believe the original is a Delphi. At least the new Delphi is made in USA. I have a NOS Delphi on deck if and when needed.

I have a Delphi in my parts stash, as well. No idea when it was made, or where. It was a Rockauto closeout, I think, so it could be older stock. I had originally gotten a new ICM from Orielly's, but had to do a warranty exchange after about a year, TWICE.

Note, this is the later Vortec ICM, not the TBI ICM, if it makes a difference to anybody.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Delphi in my parts stash, as well. No idea when it was made, or where. It was a Rockauto closeout, I think, so it could be older stock. I had originally gotten a new ICM from Orielly's, but had to do a warranty exchange after about a year, TWICE.

Note, this is the later Vortec ICM, not the TBI ICM, if it makes a difference to anybody.
The new Delphi’s are still made in USA, whether or not they are as good as the original’s I can’t say.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the US has had to cut cost and quality to compete with the cheap imports but if you buy domestic you keep American workers in jobs.

…and why I buy NOS.
It's why I buy Genuine GM original-equipment stuff from the Treasure Yard. Starters, alternators, coils, ignition modules, entire distributors or coil packs, various switches and control panels, etc. I get stuff for 1/10 the price of "new", and "good used" OEM parts when carefully selected tend to be better than "new, aftermarket" stuff at the parts stores. I save things from going into a landfill, I keep the Treasure Yard in business, my out-of-pocket costs are minimal, and with each part I recover from the Treasure Yard, I'm totally failing to provide the Communists with my dollars.

My truck was abandoned for 15 years and I've been wanting to change the ICM for piece of mind
You're probably better-off with the original module than a brand-new one. Don't change it until it actually fails. But do test your ignition coil--primary resistance, secondary resistance, primary/secondary to ground, and verify output power with a spark-tester calibrated for HEI. Most ignition module failures are caused by faulty ignition coils.