Factory ICM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not OBS but similar issue. I bought the GM style HEI distributor for my 75 ford with an FE block. I like the HEI and it simplifies parts for me. Driving it one day and it shut off, towed it home and they had used a soft roll pin for the gear. Installed a proper hardened steel roll pin and was back in business. Then my son was driving it and it shut off again, towed home and replaced the ICM with a high quality one and it has been good since. Cheap is cheap.
I've got 1/2 dozen factory ICM's for GM HEI and have never had to use one. Back when I was working on airboats with Cadillac motors on them I never saw a factory ICM go bad. If they'll take direct salt spray they've got to be tough.

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got 1/2 dozen factory ICM's for GM HEI and have never had to use one. Back when I was working on airboats with Cadillac motors on them I never saw a factory ICM go bad. If they'll take direct salt spray they've got to be tough.
I should have kept some factory ones over the years, hindsight! Caddy 500's were popular airboat motors up here too. I have a 472 in my Eldorado and a 500 in my garage, they are so dang expensive to build.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

About 10 or so years ago we had an oil spill in the river here. The clean up crew used many airboats, and I'd see the filling up at the gas station at the end of their day. They looked to be all big block Chevys. I had assumed air boats used air cooled engines before seeing them.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About 10 or so years ago we had an oil spill in the river here. The clean up crew used many airboats, and I'd see the filling up at the gas station at the end of their day. They looked to be all big block Chevys. I had assumed air boats used air cooled engines before seeing them.
Cadillac and BBC were used a lot for direct drive and SBC for gear and belt reduction airboats. Aircraft engines would be the best choice but out of range price wise for poor fishermen. They'd go to the U-pull It yards and buy those Caddy motors for about $400 and bring them to me. All I ever did to convert them was get out all the broken exhaust man. bolts, rebuild and re-jet the carbs, turn the intake manifold around for better throttle cable routing and remove one of the advance weight springs. No need for vacuum advance because they hardly made enough vacuum for it to operate. Bolt the prop hub on and set it up on the mount stand. They'd drop their boat and the motor they'd bought in the morning and pick it up the following morning. I got really good at blowing broken exhaust man. bolts with a cutting torch.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking them up earlier and the GM 048's are going for an average of $100. Are they worth it or just more chinese garbage?
Why not the Delphi, which I believe was the OE part?
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

$46.00/free shipping on Amazon