Dually guys, I need opinions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Pricing would matter significantly, of course. I noticed when fixing the mudflaps on the '93 that I'm missing 1 of these fasteners on each side. Not a big enough deal for me to worry about, but if a set for a whole truck was inexpensive, I'd buy a set just to have them in my bolt bin.

Your comment about the 5 figure investment for both styles seems prohibitive. How much difference is there between the 2 styles that making a universal solution would make sense? Is it a situation where it could truly be one-size-fits-both, or one-size-"kinda"-fits?

Richard

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the threads are on the fiberglass side.

I've been told the gmt400 is a "high low" thread on that side. The squarebody one is completely different there. The nut side is M8x1.25 for GMT400 and 5/16-18 for the square.

I thinking the GMT400 would work fine for both though. They are recommending a different style thread on the fiberglass for the ones they can make.

This is both styles, square on the left.

You must be registered for see images attach

The main difference is in where the flat is. If the thread is slightly bigger there then I think that won't matter for a square as it won't be trying to tighten up on the same threads already cut in the fender. The flange diameter is also smaller on the square so I need to make sure that won't matter for a GMT400. To bad I put my spare fenders up in the attic already :doh2:

I'm thinking 400 style bolt thread wise but squarebody flange an location to put more thread in the fiberglass. That should work for both unless there's not room in the 400 fender for more thread. I just hate to cut that short on a square but maybe it can balance out one way or another.

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
Seems people would still rather epoxy in some all-thread than spend even $20 on the right bolts. To me if you epoxy something in, you shoot yourself in the foot on a future issue. I guess not everyone cares about that though. I tend to put more emphasis on something being serviceable than just getting it fixed ASAP.

If I could have just clicked "buy" on some $20 bolts that match, I probably would have, so you would have got a sale from me at the time. But I'm not even sure there are that many duallys left to sell five figures worth of $20 bolts....there probably are, but just kind of a wild example.

I'm sure there are better fenders than what I got, mine were just the cheapest beat up crap I could find on marketplace, but the reason the studs were missing in the first place, was due to the threads getting rusty, and then they spun in the fenders. So if a person trys to take one out, and its not the last bolt, the really grippy fender side of the bolt grinds into the SMC, because the other bolts left are still applying pressure, pulling the fender in.

You're then left with a situation of a half ground out hole, which will never really hold a stud worth a damn. To me the only choices left would be to pour some resin in there....or well epoxy...same difference, to then hold the stud in.

So then I had to ask myself..."Do I really want to get bent out of shape over some factory bolts, or just grab some crap from the hardware store, and move on with life" I aint that young, and either way its going to outlive me. Same could probably be said if the bolts/studs were available, and a person is debating a couple dollars, vs twenty dollars. Money is definitely tight nowadays.

Kinda nullifies the servicable aspect, because the SMC hole isnt something that is going to last forever, without something being applied. Or a stainless kit that would prevent any rust on the machine thread side. I slathered mine with anti-sieze, but it doesnt last forever.

For what its worth, I'm fully for doing things right in the first place, but to me this is a bit of a grey area. My foot is definitely not shot. They will either come out on their own, and thats when they would need serviced, or I could just break one out with a double nut. Either way the base will eventually become damaged.

Its definitely not that I didn't care, it just is what it is. Just giving you my whole thought process on it all, from a different point of view.

Last edited:

88dually454

Reaction score
Wow, it's been a while since I reworked my 88' GMT400 dually.

I do recall my solution was simple... bought Stainless Steel HANGER BOLTS on-line from the Bolt Depot (available at other places too). A hanger bolt is a double threaded shaft that has a machine thread on one end and a course wood thread on the other. (Often used to screw a wooden leg onto a chair or sofa)

I simply cut the length of the wood thread to be slightly shorter than the hole depth in the plastic fender. Used a little epoxy, set the screw in place in the fender and bingo! Great fit and screw will not corrode therefore the machine nut (also S.S.) always comes off.

I use hanger bolts often. Great for transoms of boats, eliminates "wallowing" out fiber glass if you ever need to remove a swim platform, ladder, etc...

Hope this helps.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oof, that's even a digit higher than I was guessing. Hopefully someone is onboard with the idea, who could do something. It would be nice to be able to buy them, but yeah that's a lot for an individual.

Watch your mouth! Its already not going to be easy to hoard them all, without you driving up prices!

Kidding, I can barely afford the one I have.
Ive had my dually 6 months and haven't driven it a mile yet I can't afford tires to even try to drive it any farther or faster.