I learned a new bumper cover/headlight trick today!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did something different today while installing headlights on dad's girlfriend's 07 camry. I've always completely removed the bumper cover but this time I just removed the two bolts in the fender and the bolts across the top of the bumper cover and then rotated the whole bumper cover down while still keeping it attached at the bottom. This was a pretty cool trick. It only took about 1/2 of an hour to replace both headlights! This may be common knowledge that i'm not aware of but it was new to me.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I did something different today while installing headlights on dad's girlfriend's 07 camry. I've always completely removed the bumper cover but this time I just removed the two bolts in the fender and the bolts across the top of the bumper cover and then rotated the whole bumper cover down while still keeping it attached at the bottom. This was a pretty cool trick. It only took about 1/2 of an hour to replace both headlights! This may be common knowledge that i'm not aware of but it was new to me.

Bumper cover to change headlights? I didn't think Toyota did stuff like that.... sounds more like an Audi.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bumper cover to change headlights? I didn't think Toyota did stuff like that.... sounds more like an Audi.
You must be registered for see images attach
Ram is almost as dumb!!!
Entire grill, plus housings, plus panels in the fender well to reach up blindly and pull a locking clip.
Never again will I buy a new vehicle without seeing how bulbs and batteries change out.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ram is almost as dumb!!!
Entire grill, plus housings, plus panels in the fender well to reach up blindly and pull a locking clip.
Never again will I buy a new vehicle without seeing how bulbs and batteries change out.
Almost as dumb? Nope, that is stupid.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
2014? F450 super doody with the 6.7 PSD. To change the headlight:

Maybe it's easier on the gas trucks since there's a lot less crap under the hood. Dunno.

Stepdaughter's Subaru, you're supposed to drop the bumper cover off it and take the headlight housings out. Nah.. you can peel back the wheelwell liner instead, and get right to the dust cover on the back of the housing.

A little tough to see what you're doing to unclip it, but also to get the new capsule back in there and clipped without touching the glass and contaminating it.

Both low beams replaced in an hour or less, and that included the trip to the parts store to buy them.

Richard

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2014? F450 super doody with the 6.7 PSD. To change the headlight:

Maybe it's easier on the gas trucks since there's a lot less crap under the hood. Dunno.

Stepdaughter's Subaru, you're supposed to drop the bumper cover off it and take the headlight housings out. Nah.. you can peel back the wheelwell liner instead, and get right to the dust cover on the back of the housing.

A little tough to see what you're doing to unclip it, but also to get the new capsule back in there and clipped without touching the glass and contaminating it.

Both low beams replaced in an hour or less, and that included the trip to the parts store to buy them.

Richard
Now try peeling back fender liners when they are packed with snow and ice, and you break a half dozen fasteners that are $15 a piece!! Lol
Oh ya....and it's about -30, good times.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Now try peeling back fender liners when they are packed with snow and ice, and you break a half dozen fasteners that are $15 a piece!! Lol
Oh ya....and it's about -30, good times.
She'd been driving it on high beams for a couple months already (someone told her it would cost $400 to replace the low beam capsules); that's plenty of time to outlast any freezing weather we get down here. :Big Laugh:

All told it was about $35 but a few of the stupid panel push pins did break, as expected. I've got a ridiculous array of them in my toolbox but none of them seem to belong to any vehicle I've ever worked on.

Richard