Drunkcanuks build...... finally!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
Just another mention, but check out Durabond cam bearings, they are wider. I dunno why GM did what they did, maybe a slight uptick in mpg due to less drag, or trying to find a balance between a cheap timing chain, and longevity, but they are just so narrow, and don't even cover all of the machined surfaces of the block, or cam. Lot easier to wipe them out

If that thing is going to a machine shop, I wouldn't even touch the pistons. Not worth the solvent bath. Tighten the caps up, and send them with the block for its bath. They'll be a lot cleaner.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just another mention, but check out Durabond cam bearings, they are wider. I dunno why GM did what they did, maybe a slight uptick in mpg due to less drag, or trying to find a balance between a cheap timing chain, and longevity, but they are just so narrow, and don't even cover all of the machined surfaces of the block, or cam. Lot easier to wipe them out

If that thing is going to a machine shop, I wouldn't even touch the pistons. Not worth the solvent bath. Tighten the caps up, and send them with the block for its bath. They'll be a lot cleaner.
Thanks for the tip on the durabonds. Did a bit of reading, and there is definitely bearing differences between the generations especially when it came to ones with VVT.
And ya, I'll see what happens, couldn't cost too much more to toss some pistons in the shower too. If I decide to send it.

Fighting with buddy via text right now who wants me to put it back together with new bearings, but old cam until it's turbo time. It's frustrating!! Lol

If it's this far apart, it's not going back together with old cam, if that delays the swap, so be it. It's not going back together with old ****, and old engine isn't coming out until this one has EVERYTHING ready to go. I'm drawing the line!! Lol

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree so the cam swap now. Also add a bung into the oil pan so you can drain the oil into the pan from the turbo. Plug it off and then when it’s turbo time it’s easy. Same for the cam, it’s a total pain doing a cam swap in the truck vs now. Look into some ARP header/manifold bolts as well, that way your not dealing with breaking bolts when it’s turbo time.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree so the cam swap now. Also add a bung into the oil pan so you can drain the oil into the pan from the turbo. Plug it off and then when it’s turbo time it’s easy. Same for the cam, it’s a total pain doing a cam swap in the truck vs now. Look into some ARP header/manifold bolts as well, that way your not dealing with breaking bolts when it’s turbo time.
I have to take a look at the pan I bought, I remember seeing tapped holes, but it's probably not for the reason I think it is, I'm not that lucky! Lol
But ya, definitely would be a LOT easier to do now than later.
I believe the manifold bolts were already aftermarket ones, at least buddy thought so, same with the manifolds. As apparently the stock ones were all one piece and these ones are split where they bolt up.
You must be registered for see images attach
Hopefully you see what I mean on this pic, I did try looking for stock manifold pics and they were all one piece.. hopefully that makes sense, I just woke up! Lol
The gaskets were definitely not stock, and the bolts came out without even a hint of a fight.
But I'll probably do the right thing and get ARP's

And ya....cam is going in regardless. Buddies issue is tuning involved right off the hop. And I get that. But I did run across a few "mail order" tuners, I believe one was from Edmonton or Calgary, that the website mentioned something about being able to tune for minor changes such as cams, if they knew the specs on it along with deleting VATS and rear O2s.
I'll have to reach out and see what's up. Either that or start a crash course on tuning myself with HP tuners os something similar.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup, best start cramming now. A mail order tune will make it run but if you want it to run right you're gonna have to do it yourself.
Ya, the one who is against me cam swapping right now did a LS into a 70's F100 and he's done the tuning before, he showed me the program on his laptop, I don't know what his issue is. I'm thinking it's because his was a stock 4.8 he put in, and I'm doing a cammed 6.0 with a turbo down the line..... I think it's jealousy!!! LOL.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya, the one who is against me cam swapping right now did a LS into a 70's F100 and he's done the tuning before, he showed me the program on his laptop, I don't know what his issue is. I'm thinking it's because his was a stock 4.8 he put in, and I'm doing a cammed 6.0 with a turbo down the line..... I think it's jealousy!!! LOL.
If he's only done one swap then he's no expert on LS swaps although he does have a more experience than you. Personally I have 0 experience with the LS. You couldn't chase me down and beat me to give me one.