Drunkcanuks build...... finally!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The body work looks good. Now you’re itching to repaint the whole thing aren’t ya? Know that feeling.

The CEL: how old is the gas? I had a lean condition pop up on my ‘92 for 1 day. Gas was from a sketchy place. But it went away soon after. Could’ve been a fluke, I don’t know.

Brake light: I agree with parking cables but for sure crawl underneath and check.

So you hadn’t driven this since 2020? Dang, you deserve a nice cruise without issues man!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The body work looks good. Now you’re itching to repaint the whole thing aren’t ya? Know that feeling.

The CEL: how old is the gas? I had a lean condition pop up on my ‘92 for 1 day. Gas was from a sketchy place. But it went away soon after. Could’ve been a fluke, I don’t know.

Brake light: I agree with parking cables but for sure crawl underneath and check.

So you hadn’t driven this since 2020? Dang, you deserve a nice cruise without issues man!
Gas is good. Bought from a good source, and drive it enough there shouldn't be any skanky gas from a while back. It does have long tube headers, and the sensor is down by the collector, so it's definitely not in the ideal location. Should have done a heated one. But am still hoping for a LS swap, so didn't wanna piss that $$$ away.

Gonna make sure the reservoir still has fluid in it before I drive out today. I actually have tape with a mark of where the fluid should be still. Put it on a few years ago when I replaced the MC.

Long story shortish....blew the trans in 2003, sat for 8yrs, put new trans in, then only putted around a few times a year for the next 10ish. But that's because it still has the brand new winter tires on it from 2002 until last September when I got the new wheels and tires.
So it really hasn't seen any highway driving for 2 decades other than the one off in 2020 when I needed it as my 1 other truck was broke down, and the new one I had just bought needed to go back for it's lift kit and new tires.

But it's nothing unexpected, I knew the more I drive it, the more gremlins will show up. It's friggin over 30yrs old, to be expected, especially when it was hardly driven for 20 years.

Edit......and ya.....the itch is BIG to get it painted!!!
But in conversation with my buddy the other day when I drove it to his place, was probably gonna hold off until "the mechanical" stuff is sorted out (LS swap), so he's going to see if any of his friends have one willing to part with, or we are going to hit a yard before the end of summer.

Last edited:

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just went and took a look at the truck. Popped the hood, fluid is at the same level it was since I changed the MC, soooooo glad I have tape on there with a sharpie mark!
Wiring still where wiring should be.
Started the truck, no brake light on.
Smashed the pedal a dozen times or so, felt like they normally do, not light and no loss of fluid.

So I guess I'll keep an eye on it when I hit the same friggin hole on the way out and in for the rest of the week.
Friggin gremlins! Lol
But at least it appears to be electrical in nature vs actually losing my brakes.....so I'll take that.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So am interesting development just happened.
Had to drive home today unexpectedly, and it was ridiculous without AC in this heat!!!
But the brake light didn't come on so that's good.
Anyway...as I'm putting my kids motorcycle in the garage my buddy of over 35yrs rolls up and starts chirping at me....as usual, he's a piss ant! Lol

And we get to talking about when is he going to sell me the motor we talked about a while back.
He has a 03 with a 6.0 and 4l80 but it's a quadrasteer rig and the rear steering is caput, shocker I know right!! Lol

He said don't tempt me cuz the steering is shot.
I said $500 for motor, trans and all the wiring and ECM.

He said $7500, I laughed and said for what, the magic bolts that hold it in was his reply. Lol
I said $550 and you can keep the bolts.
Said he'd think about it.

I said it will happen within the next two weeks if we agree on a better price than $7500!!
Then he said, maybe I should sell you the 454 and 4l80 out of my van, it's TBI.
$500 I said, put a 1 in front of it he said.
So....told him he has 48hrs to give me a realistic price on both.

I really don't want the 454, but got his gears going on the 6.0. and id probably go as high as $1500 for the LS package.
It's a 4wd tranny, but another buddy wants/needs one for his project, so he said he'd take it and find me a 2wd one.

So ya ....that's where I'm at right now. See what happens.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gas is good. Bought from a good source, and drive it enough there shouldn't be any skanky gas from a while back. It does have long tube headers, and the sensor is down by the collector, so it's definitely not in the ideal location. Should have done a heated one. But am still hoping for a LS swap, so didn't wanna piss that $$$ away.

Gonna make sure the reservoir still has fluid in it before I drive out today. I actually have tape with a mark of where the fluid should be still. Put it on a few years ago when I replaced the MC.

Long story shortish....blew the trans in 2003, sat for 8yrs, put new trans in, then only putted around a few times a year for the next 10ish. But that's because it still has the brand new winter tires on it from 2002 until last September when I got the new wheels and tires.
So it really hasn't seen any highway driving for 2 decades other than the one off in 2020 when I needed it as my 1 other truck was broke down, and the new one I had just bought needed to go back for it's lift kit and new tires.

But it's nothing unexpected, I knew the more I drive it, the more gremlins will show up. It's friggin over 30yrs old, to be expected, especially when it was hardly driven for 20 years.

Edit......and ya.....the itch is BIG to get it painted!!!
But in conversation with my buddy the other day when I drove it to his place, was probably gonna hold off until "the mechanical" stuff is sorted out (LS swap), so he's going to see if any of his friends have one willing to part with, or we are going to hit a yard before the end of summer.
Damn dude!!! I read 2003 and thought maybe it had been that long but wasn’t sure. That is crazy. I’m really glad to see you driving it then!

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah it’s a clean truck and you’ve had it forever! My younger boy liked it! Even wanted to climb up on the stepside which I let him as it wasn’t painted yet. Obviously if it was painted I would have asked you for permission.

Sounds like you have the wheels turning on the engine deal!! Go to the bank, pull $1500. Give $500 to your wife and then offer him $1000 cash in hand, and then have “beg” your wife for a few hundred as you negotiate. Works everytime lol