Drunkcanuks build...... finally!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the tailgate after the last wet coat, 1 mist and 3 wet. So I'll let it sit overnight and tomorrow a bit of a light sand then hit it and the roll pan with the clear.
Gotta get the truck back inside as there is a t-storm brewing.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Tossed them on, just to see.
Even without the clear im definitely happy I spent a few hours and the bit of money to make it look a whole lot more presentable!!

On either side of the roll pan, it's darker, I may just touch those up so it's not so obvious. Maybe.

Either way, I'm calling this a win for me.

Edit.....CRAP!!! I didn't see that the blue carried on down a bit lower. The bumper was all silver. Hmmmmmmm.

Last edited:

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score

Tossed them on, just to see.
Even without the clear im definitely happy I spent a few hours and the bit of money to make it look a whole lot more presentable!!

On either side of the roll pan, it's darker, I may just touch those up so it's not so obvious. Maybe.

Either way, I'm calling this a win for me.

Edit.....CRAP!!! I didn't see that the blue carried on down a bit lower. The bumper was all silver. Hmmmmmmm.
Looks good from here, a lot better than I could manage in a weekend. Shaved tailgate handles always catches my eye though.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I've had an idea for a black that looks like gun blue. Black base coat with a blue translucent(candy)shot over it. I think a little pearl esscents added to the blue would give it an antique gun blue look. I bet there is a painter out there that would know just the right mix for that color.
There is a late model Chevy truck color like that, saw a new Tahoe that color on my way home from work today. It almost looks black metallic till you get the sun on it right, and the 'flake pops and you can see that it's really very dark blue. They also have a lighter metallic/pearl blue, I believe it's called Glacier Blue Metallic. Those two would be great as a two tone, or one for graphics like flames or scallops. Don't laugh; graphics done right are cool!
Many decades ago, I built a Japanese plastic model kit of a S&W 44 magnum model 29, like Dirty Harry's gun. To paint the blueing (it was molded in gunmetal gray) I believe I used Tamiya bottle paints and a brush, blue translucent first, and then translucent smoke. It came out really nice, and the paint flowed well so it didn't have brush marks. I had several people tell me that it looked realistic enough that I should be careful where I left it! I also used Tamiya colors for the woodgrain on the grips; topcoat was translucent orange. These are acrylics so I could put them over enamel graphics too.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Gotcha....nope.
The clear I have does say 1k on it though.
Like I said, this is little above a farmer job until the real deal happens.

Those little color cans are $22 a piece!!!
Not even a full can.
Well, y'all's "dollar" is only 75¢ of ours, so the import costs are up there....

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Duplicolor is good stuff. I used it many years ago to paint these. They're carved out of acrylic plastic so model car paint will not stick as a basecoat. They're approximately 1/4 scale, and the only things on them I did not make are tiny screws for the strap buttons and the tuner posts. Even the strings are handwound .....
The light blue is a Mopar color, Island Teal Pearlcoat; I used to have a Dodge Intrepid that color. The truck is one Jimmie Vaughan used to have, that he hauled his show cars with. I built him a guitar to match. The flames on that one are enamel; I couldn't find a lacquer the right shade. Rod Powell painted the real truck, and a trailer to match.

Attachments

• IMG_20210707_130734_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20210707_130734_hdr.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20221019_234848011_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221019_234848011_HDR.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210502_192349.jpg
    20210502_192349.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210606_150155_hdr~2.jpg
    IMG_20210606_150155_hdr~2.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 12

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Duplicolor is good stuff. I used it many years ago to paint these. They're carved out of acrylic plastic so model car paint will not stick as a basecoat. They're approximately 1/4 scale, and the only things on them I did not make are tiny screws for the strap buttons and the tuner posts. Even the strings are handwound .....
The light blue is a Mopar color, Island Teal Pearlcoat; I used to have a Dodge Intrepid that color. The truck is one Jimmie Vaughan used to have, that he hauled his show cars with. I built him a guitar to match. The flames on that one are enamel; I couldn't find a lacquer the right shade. Rod Powell painted the real truck, and a trailer to match.
You could be a replacement for the Doseqies guy!!!!
You are a very interesting person!!! Lol
Those guitars are friggin amazing!!! Well done.
Even cooler you got to meet Jimmy!!!
And that's a sweet truck he had. Love the classic hot rod flames.