Dead Fuel Pump? Best Way To Replace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey fellas,

So I was driving my 91 c1500 5.7 as a DD lately, and it has been running great....until it died on me sitting at a stoplight out of nowhere and refused to restart.

It cranks and cranks, but the injectors aren't firing. When I turn the key over I can't hear the fuel pump kick on so I assume my pump died. I guess I'm just surprised that it died to suddenly. I have a fuel pressure gauge but couldn't find a shrader valve anywhere on the tbi engine to test pressure...am I just blind?

The other options I guess could be the fuse or relay correct? Where on a 91 would those be located so i can check them before ordering the pump? I think relay is passenger firewall right and where would fuse be?

Now assuming it is the pump, and I have a half tank of gas, and 1 regular jack, and 1 8 ton bottle jack, and no help...I think it would most likely be easier to go dump truck style do you agree? Which is the best way to do that with a RCLB. I would guess remove driver side bed bolts, and loosen passenger and just lift it sideways?

I am not cutting the bed. Not an option.

Thanks guys.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
undo all the bolts lift front and block it up lift back and block it up try to have front at least a foot or more off frame for room to get sender out

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
any reason to lift the entire bed instead of tilting it?

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
Call LMC and get a sheet of their bed repair sheetmetal that is made for our trucks, take your cut off wheel and cut a 24" x 14" rectangle out, change pump, and screw the sheetmetal down. Factory look and instant access.

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
Call LMC and get a sheet of their bed repair sheetmetal that is made for our trucks, take your cut off wheel and cut a 24" x 14" rectangle out, change pump, and screw the sheetmetal down. Factory look and instant access.
Should have been done by GM in the first place

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Tilting the bed increases the risk of it sliding off since you have to lift it so high on one side.

I usually just remove the tank if it's empty. Fuel weighs A LOT and the tank is relatively thin, make sure it's darned near empty if you do remove it.

While an access panel would be nice, I've never cut a bed to change a pump. Probably never will.

Your call....

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take the box off, or at least lift it up so you can access the top of the tank. Once you start messing with the tank, straps, lines, it can become real nasty in a hurry. I took the box off my truck last spring when I did my fuel pump, best decision I ever made.