Dead Fuel Pump? Best Way To Replace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Push the little white tangs in on the white clip to release it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Right, but mine didn't have any give to it and didn't want to break it. My old lady is home now so i'll just have her listen for the click. Will checking this relay be the same as listening to any other relay kick on or off? Are there 2 contained in there or just the fuel pump relay? The box says optional relay as well as fuel pump relay.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
A "click" doesn't mean the relay is functional. It means the coil works in it.

Relays normally fail because the high current contacts burn an pit over time from normal use and loose continuity. So it can "click" but still not be serviceable.

If you don't have a meter, you can use a test light to confirn the relay is passing voltage once activated.

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A buddy of mine and I replaced the fuel pump today. We didn't get it totally done today because it started to snow heavily, but all that needs finished is the lines hooked back up to the sending unit and the patch panel screwed in.

We ended up cutting a patch panel in the bed. We were going to dump truck the bed...but my 1/2 to 3/8 reducer snapped so we couldn't undo the bed bolts. Then we were going to drop the tank but the jack I have didn't reach...so we just said screw it and cut the bed. It's not a pretty cut since we drilled holes and took tin snips to it, but it works I guess and i've got a set in bed liner so it's not too big of a deal.

Someone had been in there before me in the past to change the pump because one of the metal pipes on the sender had been broken and they had just used a longer length of hose in it's spot, but unfortunately the sending unit was still factory and one of the fittings was so rusted on it broke instead of coming loose so I had to replace the sending unit as well as the pump. We will see tomorrow when I finish hooking everything back up if that did the trick.