Dead Fuel Pump? Best Way To Replace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
Call LMC and get a sheet of their bed repair sheetmetal that is made for our trucks, take your cut off wheel and cut a 24" x 14" rectangle out, change pump, and screw the sheetmetal down. Factory look and instant access.

Should have been done by GM in the first place

Really? :superhack:

If you do this, throw down sawdust before you start the job.

Remove the rear wheels, unbolt the bed, and slide it back on the frame. I was able to do this myself on my dually.

Last edited:

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Remove the rear wheels, unbolt the bed, and slide it back on the frame. I was able to do this myself on my dually.
thats a good idea!

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I've argued this before. IMO, removing the bed is too much work. Dropping the tank is easy, cutting a hole in the bed is easier.

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
next fuel pump i do.....i will probably cut a hole in the bed as well....only cause i already have a notch cover...damage is already done

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score

Yea really.... but like most modifications, if your a moron, don't attempt...and I suggest using a welding blanket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Yea really.... but like most modifications, if your a moron, don't attempt...and I suggest using a welding blanket.

If somebody doesn't know enough to do that, they probably shouldn't be fooling around with wrenches and jacks at all

I used an air chisel to cut the hole in my bed. No sparks. There were no fuel leaks in my case either, if there was, I would cover it with a wet towel or something. Maybe should have done it anyways, but whatever, I'm still here.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
If somebody doesn't know enough to do that, they probably shouldn't be fooling around with wrenches and jacks at all

I used an air chisel to cut the hole in my bed. No sparks. There were no fuel leaks in my case either, if there was, I would cover it with a wet towel or something. Maybe should have done it anyways, but whatever, I'm still here.

Yea a wet towel works good too... I don't have access to a air chisel at home but that would work as well, good option.

Last edited:

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Call LMC and get a sheet of their bed repair sheetmetal that is made for our trucks, take your cut off wheel and cut a 24" x 14" rectangle out, change pump, and screw the sheetmetal down. Factory look and instant access.

While I agree that this is a good idea, it's not at home so I don't have access to do the bed cutting. It's got a bedliner in there anyway that I don't want to mess with.