Dead Fuel Pump? Best Way To Replace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Check the fuel pump relay, fuse, oil pressure switch (seriously), and all the fuses under the dash, theres some for injectors, IGN, check all the simple stuff first.

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not yet, I have no help so can't turn on the ignition and listen for relay clicks by myself.

Check it properly, with a DVOM. Also check to make sure you're actually getting power TO the relay. Key on, check for power, also check for ground.

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check it properly, with a DVOM. Also check to make sure you're actually getting power TO the relay. Key on, check for power, also check for ground.

Don't have DVOM. College kid with basic hand tools.

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So this is the weirdest thing. I crawled all around under the truck today with a can of liquid wrench looking for the bed bolts and could only find 4. They are all 4 forward of the wheel wells. I can't find a single bed bolt at or behind the wheel wells. I am sure this isn't right, but I must have looked for 15 minutes straight, and there just isn't any part where bed touches frame that's got a bolt in it...

Anyone have a diagram or a picture of where said bolt should be?

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just checked the fuel pump fuse, it's ok, the fuses under the dash pertaining to ignition and everything are good, and don't know where the fuel pressure switch is.

I can't get to the fuel pump relay without breaking . I know i'm a novice but how do you take out the little plastic slide lock things without just breaking them off? There is no give to them so it's not like you can squeeze them and slide them out. I don't want to just jump in and start breaking plastic parts to check relays.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Just checked the fuel pump fuse, it's ok, the fuses under the dash pertaining to ignition and everything are good, and don't know where the fuel pressure switch is.

I can't get to the fuel pump relay without breaking . I know i'm a novice but how do you take out the little plastic slide lock things without just breaking them off? There is no give to them so it's not like you can squeeze them and slide them out. I don't want to just jump in and start breaking plastic parts to check relays.

Plastic slide lock thing?

Where are you trying to pull the relays out of?

The fuel and ac relays are in the underhood fuse center and just pullout...

*edit - oh wait a minute, Forgot you had a 91. You don't have the underhood relay center. I think the fuel relay is on the passenger side firewall under the plastic cover. It's been a while since I worked on something that old so someone else can confirm or deny that....

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
Push the little white tangs in on the white clip to release it.

You must be registered for see images attach