Cylinder 1 and 5 misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cherryred98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I bought fel-pro HST7733PT-16 which has head gaskets, valve stem seals, exhaust gaskets, intake gaskets (upper and lower), egr gasket, valve cover gaskets, distributor gasket and water neck gasket. I also ordered engine tech l2281 lifters (I hear engine tech usually rebrands other parts such as felpro and melling) and engine tech HBK142 head bolt kit (which is felpro I believe) and felpro water pump gaskets, along with engine paint I figure I’ll get valve covers and stamped steel roller rockers later on. I went to pick and pull and got heads of a z71 vortec with 140k miles, they look really good I almost think they are reman heads I cleaned them up with some degreaser and dawn. I plan to pull the engine, degrease it and paint it I’ll post pics as I go, would 1 can of primer and 2 cans of engine enamel be enough to do the heads, block and oil pan? I would like to do a pan gasket and engine mounts but my budget won’t allow me sadly :( it will get done someday soon. Would it be easier to pull the heads off then pull the block out? Or pull the block out with the heads on? Either way I plan to remove the intake to make things easier when pulling it out

Cherryred98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tomorrow I’m going to go pickups valve spring compressor (as I plan to do valve seals) and a torque angle tool (for head bolts) along with some coolant, oil and filter. Anyone have recommendations on oil filters? Is there a longer one I can get (for more oil volume) or a brand above stock AC delco? Wix? Fram?

Cherryred98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I woke up this morning and decided against pulling the engine out and I’m going to return the paint, I’ll pull it out some day, do pan gasket slap in a gear drive timing set, rear main seal and replace engine mounts w the red poly-whatever ones n all that good preventative maintenance.

All my parts are coming Thursday and Friday so, im supposed to be taking the truck on a trip to the lake for the 4th, leaving on the second so that’s why I decided to just leave the block in… I should be able to do heads in 2 days right? I have two extra days of vision we’ll see how it goes

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figure I’ll get valve covers and stamped steel roller rockers later on.
Roller-tip rocker arms are a poor choice. Either go full-roller, or stay stock...and the stock rockers IN GOOD CONDITION aren't hurting you any.

Really common for stock "used" rockers to be worn-out.

Be sure to buy self-aligning rockers if you're removing self-aligning rockers.

slap in a gear drive timing set
HELL, no.

replace engine mounts w the red poly-whatever ones
I couldn't find Poly mounts that looked like the originals. Good luck.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I should be able to do heads in 2 days right?
Kinda depends. It's theoretically possible to do this in ONE day, especially since you can prep the new heads in advance, and you're not wasting time removing the engine, dicking with mounts, painting, etc.

Good luck with the exhaust manifold bolts/studs. I'm guessing that's where your time loss will be.

Takes me a month to change valve cover gaskets. No way I'd be able to swap heads in two days.

Last edited:

Cherryred98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No gear drive? Aww :( I love the wine of the straight cut gears

Good luck with the exhaust manifold bolts/studs. I'm guessing that's where your time loss will be.
Yeah that’s not really a big concern of mine, probably just hit it with some ugga duggas, worse comes to worse I break off the bolts in the head but I’m not gonna reuse the old heads
Kinda depends. It's theoretically possible to do this in ONE day, especially since you can prep the new heads in advance, and you're not wasting time removing the engine, dicking with mounts, painting, etc.
The new heads are prepped, cleaned and ready to go on, cleaned the mating surfaces n all. I changed intake manifold gaskets in a couple hours, and when I pulled the heads off the truck at pick and pull I did it in 3 hours with no power or air tools… and no liquid encouragement lol
There is one exhaust bolt that was previously broke off in the new head in the back, I’m going to try to get it out tomorrow with an easy out set, worse comes to worse I’ll just be missing a bolt there, and hope it doesn’t leak