Cylinder 1 and 5 misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cherryred98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pushrods and rockers were crusted in this
You must be registered for see images attach

Update: I started the head gasket replaced yesterday morning just finished this evening. Went pretty good. She runs really good now. I’ve just gotta align the Hall effects sensor in the distributor properly now. Then I should be ready for smog!! Anyone know if you need a muffler to pass smog in cali?

Cherryred98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I am now throwing a po307 code, cylinder 7 misfire. I tried swapping plugs w cylinder 5, did nothing and swapped plug wire from 8 and the code still pops up. I went to the parts store earlier and used their code reader and it gave a p1351 code. But my blue driver reader isn’t reading code hat code so idk. Any ideas?

Cherryred98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuel trims. Idk what good is supposed to look like maybe it’ll help?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She runs really good now. I’ve just gotta align the Hall effects sensor in the distributor properly now. Then I should be ready for smog!! Anyone know if you need a muffler to pass smog in cali?
I don't know for sure, but I'd expect they'll fail you for no muffler--based on noise, or missing equipment, not actual measured emissions.

So I am now throwing a po307 code, cylinder 7 misfire.
So much for "runs really good".

What is the cranking compression pressure? Do both valves/rocker arms move as much as the others? Distributor cap in good condition around #7 terminal?

Does the spark plug look virgin-white like it's not getting fuel?

I went to the parts store earlier and used their code reader and it gave a p1351 code. But my blue driver reader isn’t reading code hat code so idk. Any ideas?
I have no faith in scan-tool simulators using a cable or a dongle, and software loaded into a laptop computer or phone.

Fuel trims. Idk what good is supposed to look like
I'd expect both banks to be similar, if everything was working properly.

Best guess is that your #7 misfire is screwing the O2 sensor. The sensor is reporting FALSE lean condition, causing the computer to enrichen the mixture for Bank 1.

OTOH, a failed injector could cause a genuine lean condition, let's say in Cylinder 7. Enriching the entire Bank 1 doesn't fix the injector.

More diagnosis needed.