Cooling issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
90 Scottsdale

I pulled the 305 out of my elcamino and slapped that in there, well I've had a really sporadic cooling issue it just gradually gets hot,
What thermostat? What fan/fan clutch? What DIRECTION fan/fan clutch? How old is the radiator?

What year El Camino? Does it have a regular-rotation or reverse-rotation water pump, and is it being driven in the correct direction?

it has crazy line pressure
What do you mean by "line pressure"? Generally that refers to automatic transmission pressure, but in this context I think you may be referring to cooling system pressure.

decide to finish the motor in my Scottsdale which is a bored over 350 with 305 heads and the edlebrock performer tbi cam, it runs emasculate
Emasculate = Nutless. Castrated. Eunich. Feminized. *****.

I don't think emasculate means what you think it means.

now I'm having the exact same issues cooling wise, crazy line pressure
Again with the "line pressure". What do you mean? Cooling system pressure? As in, coolant blowing out the overflow tube of the radiator, and into the overflow jug?

Defective rad cap??? Cooling system pressurized with combustion gasses due to failed head gasket or cracked casting?

and slowly gets hot, heater core hoses are hooked up, both water pumps are spinning in the correct direction
Both water pumps? What engine do you have? A Flathead Ford?

Is the fan intended to spin the same direction as the water pump? You don't have a clockwise-rotation fan bolted to a counter-clockwise water pump--or the other way around...right?

The truck is a 5 speed
So clearly "line pressure" does not refer to transmission pressure.

it's been carb swapped.
Can you tune a carb so it doesn't run excessively lean?

And the rad has been out of the truck and clear for the past year, she's good to flow
Are the air-fins folded-over or corroded? Plugged with dirt/bugs/pigeons?

jd33173

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What thermostat? What fan/fan clutch? What DIRECTION fan/fan clutch? How old is the radiator?

What year El Camino? Does it have a regular-rotation or reverse-rotation water pump, and is it being driven in the correct direction?

What do you mean by "line pressure"? Generally that refers to automatic transmission pressure, but in this context I think you may be referring to cooling system pressure.

Again with the "line pressure". What do you mean? Cooling system pressure? As in, coolant blowing out the overflow tube of the radiator, and into the overflow jug?

Defective rad cap??? Cooling system pressurized with combustion gasses due to failed head gasket or cracked casting?

Is the fan intended to spin the same direction as the water pump? You don't have a clockwise-rotation fan bolted to a counter-clockwise water pump--or the other way around...right?

Pigeons + princess bride reference for the win!

docstoy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
V-belt or serpentine belt ? Waterpump difference between 2 different engines ? Or intake/cylinder head difference ?

Twin_Flyer

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for a hand here I've had my head wrapped around this for months and have gotten no where hopefully someone here can help, I've got a 90 Scottsdale that I had built the motor in, decent cam and some heads off a 84 Vette, well it didn't make the truck real practical so I pulled the 305 out of my elcamino and slapped that in there, well I've had a really sporadic cooling issue it just gradually gets hot, I can't seem to figure out why, and it has crazy line pressure, so I park that till I have time and decide to finish the motor in my Scottsdale which is a bored over 350 with 305 heads and the edlebrock performer tbi cam, it runs emasculate better than anything I own honestly, well now I'm having the exact same issues cooling wise, crazy line pressure and slowly gets hot, heater core hoses are hooked up, both water pumps are spinning in the correct direction and Im about 90% sure it's not heads or head gaskets (on the scottsdale at least) im at my wits end with these things ive got countless hours into testing and screwing with it with no changed out come, hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction
BOTH water pumps?? What does crazy line pressure even mean??

1990Obscammed

Reaction score
When I say line pressure I'm referring to the cooling hose, and no I'm not talking about tranny lines, Scottsdale's only came with 5 speeds if I remember correctly, and the water pumps can spin in different directions, I'm running a v belt set up with a water pump off what I had laying around ( a 70 monte carlo) I'm going to do a combustion leak test just to rule that out all though I'm almost positive that's not the issue, I'm running a fan off the water pump, no it does not have a shroud which I know will get hot on idle usually but very light driving even causes it to start to creep upward of 220 degrees. And I have all the lines in the right spot, I have heat in the truck so I have a line on the intake and a line on the water pump it has a 180 thermostat if my memory serves me correct. This is just killing me that I can't seem to get it maybe it's just tough to bleed all the air out all though I'm sure it's bled.

1990Obscammed

Reaction score

By both water pumps I meant the one on my obs and the one on my el Camino, and yes I can tune a carb, I pulled the plugs and it is a little lean, it ran great so I didn't bother to adjust it. Also the radiator cap is brand new. And my el Camino is an 84 I believe it has a regular rotation pump

Attachments

• PXL_20230919_170127930.jpg
    PXL_20230919_170127930.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 5

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your truck uses a counter rotating water pump so the Elky pump is not going to perform very well with the serpentine accessory drive if that's what you're running on the truck. Fan clutch and fan won't interchange either.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I say line pressure I'm referring to the cooling hose,
Not a great term for cooling system pressure.

the water pumps can spin in different directions,
They are engineered to spin ONE direction--either regular rotation, or reverse rotation.

They'll be terribly inefficient spinning the wrong way.

I'm running a v belt set up with a water pump off what I had laying around ( a 70 monte carlo)
Regular-rotation water pump, V-belt accessory drive...WHAT DIRECTION IS THE FAN SUPPOSED TO TURN? Is the fan mis-matched to the water pump direction?

I'm running a fan off the water pump, no it does not have a shroud
No fan shroud is just silly. Get that taken care of. Is the clutch in decent condition? Does it ever engage?

A fan clutch that never engages MIGHT be a defective clutch...just as likely to be a defective radiator that doesn't heat the air, therefore doesn't heat the clutch, therefore the clutch won't engage. And having no shroud is just icing on that cake.

it has a 180 thermostat
Should be 195-ish.

maybe it's just tough to bleed all the air out all though I'm sure it's bled.
It's no challenge to bleed the air out of a GMT400 cooling system, since the rad cap is the high-point of the system.

As soon as the thermostat opens, all the air moves to the radiator, where it's seen as "low coolant level".

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the water pumps can spin in different directions,
They are engineered to spin ONE direction--either regular rotation, or reverse rotation.
This made my head spin!
Just a stock photo, but think about this spinning backwards and what it would accomplish?

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This made my head spin!
Just a stock photo, but think about this spinning backwards and what it would accomplish?

Some pumps can turn either direction but many cannot. The Flowkooler 1974 and the cheaper GMB high volume clone I recently bought sold on RockAuto both have an aluminim straight bladed impellor. Flowkooler has both CW and CCW listed as rotation. I bought the GMB pump to put on the 1987 as the pump I put on it was leaking. Pump came off the 350 in my 97 and worked well on it at the time and then sat around the shop for a few years. Have not put on the GMB pump yet because the 2006 era Autozone Duralast heavy duty pump stopped leaking after a few heat cycles and a little run time. Never would have guessed that one. It was not leaking on the 97, sat around a while, leaked without even having pressure on it, heat cycled a few times and has not leaked a drop since, go figure. FWIW, Flowkooler small block pumps with cast iron bodies atleast are GMB pumps with a high volume impeller. GMB high flow pump I bought was identical.