Blew a bearing, is my spindle reusable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Isaacmacleod

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
After a loud pulsating clicking noise accompanied drag on the left front wheel, I thought I had a locked up caliper or something.

Once I finally got my rotor off using a freaking 6 ton puller claw, I found my bearing had blown. I knew I should have repacked it sooner.
You must be registered for see images attach

I’ve already posted about this in another thread somewhere but I’m making my own thread because I’m pretty concerned about reusing this spindle.

I couldn’t fit the new timken outer wheel bearing over it at first due to the scuffed up surface where the bearing’s inner race sits.

However after using some meager sandpaper I had I was able to get the bearing on.

Not gonna lie the bearing seemed to have a tiny bit of play in the north south direction

My mechanic said the grease might pack it in and set it more once I tightened the castle nut.

I’m just wondering how safe/ unsafe it is to drive on the spindle in this condition
At least now it isn’t making horrible noises but I haven’t taken it at high speeds yet.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
After a loud pulsating clicking noise accompanied drag on the left front wheel, I thought I had a locked up caliper or something.

Once I finally got my rotor off using a freaking 6 ton puller claw, I found my bearing had blown. I knew I should have repacked it sooner.

I’ve already posted about this in another thread somewhere but I’m making my own thread because I’m pretty concerned about reusing this spindle.

I couldn’t fit the new timken outer wheel bearing over it at first due to the scuffed up surface where the bearing’s inner race sits.

However after using some meager sandpaper I had I was able to get the bearing on.

Not gonna lie the bearing seemed to have a tiny bit of play in the north south direction

My mechanic said the grease might pack it in and set it more once I tightened the castle nut.

I’m just wondering how safe/ unsafe it is to drive on the spindle in this condition
At least now it isn’t making horrible noises but I haven’t taken it at high speeds yet.

So, what you are saying is that you have already put it back together and are driving on it....hmmmmmm

Grease is not gonna fix wear and play from that wear. It will now run hotter at that contact point and the inner race will deteriorate over time, if not right away.
In an emergency, it is ok but it is a band aid, not a repair. After all, those bearings that are gone in the pic are ate up and ground in.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It spun the inner race. The spindle's not blue from heat, but...

I would replace the spindle because, unless you have absolute knowledge about the spindle's condition, your life and that of others is in the balance.

Did it spin the outer race in the rotor?

On the topic of replacements: I'm not too keen on junk yard spindles / knuckles; if I were to get one I would have it Magnefluxed, but that's just me. There's probably not 1 in 100 that actually gets checked in this way.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I was in this same situation last year on a customer's car. I couldn't bear the thought of it going out and failing again, so I bit the bullet and pulled a clean junkyard spindle. It'll be a year next month, so I must have gotten it right. I'd do the same here. You just can't beat the peace of mind.

Isaacmacleod

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, what you are saying is that you have already put it back together and are driving on it....hmmmmmm

Grease is not gonna fix wear and play from that wear. It will now run hotter at that contact point and the inner race will deteriorate over time, if not right away.
In an emergency, it is ok but it is a band aid, not a repair. After all, those bearings that are gone in the pic are ate up and ground in.

Yes the old bearing quite literally exploded but it was the outer race which exploded the inner race was okay enough. I think I might have scuffed it up mostly from using the drum pulled on the rotor.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
"scuffed"? Can you imagine what was happening in there when all this happened?

Isaacmacleod

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It spun the inner race. The spindle's not blue from heat, but...

I would replace the spindle because, unless you have absolute knowledge about the spindle's condition, your life and that of others is in the balance.

Did it spin the outer race in the rotor?

On the topic of replacements: I'm not too keen on junk yard spindles / knuckles; if I were to get one I would have it Magnefluxed, but that's just me. There's probably not 1 in 100 that actually gets checked in this way.
I see.

Isaacmacleod

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in this same situation last year on a customer's car. I couldn't bear the thought of it going out and failing again, so I bit the bullet and pulled a clean junkyard spindle. It'll be a year next month, so I must have gotten it right. I'd do the same here. You just can't beat the peace of mind.
I’m not sure I will have much luck finding this model of truck spindle in my local junkyards. I check the websites frequently but they almost never have 90s Chevy trucks there.
I’m just super not excited about buying new spindles and doing that job right now. Ugh

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes the old bearing quite literally exploded but it was the outer race which exploded the inner race was okay enough.

I think you mean to say the "cage" failed ("exploded").

I'm sure both inner and outer races are beat up pretty badly on their bearing surfaces.