Big Booty Judy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I voted with my wallet for the exact same bench seat cover, but in blue to match my truck: (Chore Truck interior cleanup, last photo)

Although the original 4L80-E is perfectly behaved (and that's saying something given my strong predisposition
to standard transmissions) ...I have to admit to a tinge of jealousy seeing that stickshift in the foreground of
your photo.

Anyway, I was jazzed with your original post where you describe bringing your truck back to life after it sat in a junk yard
for 16+ years. Good on you, for that truck looks like it has a lot more work to do before it's really time to sideline it.

Your thread reminds me of @Komet's build thread where he successfully brought back a GMT400 that 99% of
folks out there would have passed on the opportunity due to the sheer scale of the mechanical issues to unwind.
If you haven't read his thread yet you might enjoy seeing another owner taking a diamond in the rough and getting
it back on the road and earning it's keep.
(Komet undoes rough Diesel swap with torqueyTPI SBC repower)

Reading/studying the restos in this forum has unexpectedly become one of my favorite pastimes. There's everything
from just basic functional restos (like mine) all the way to the amazing frame off renewals that would easily pass muster on
any new car dealership showroom. And everything in between.

Tip of the hat in your direction for deciding to employ some sweat equity and really knowing your ride instead of just doing
the normal thing and taking on a 84-month loan in order to put some work truck functionality in your driveway.

:waytogo:

Last edited:

BP Hopkins

Reaction score
I voted with my wallet for the exact same bench seat cover, but in blue to match my truck: (Chore Truck interior cleanup, last photo)

Although the original 4L80-E is perfectly behaved (and that's saying something given my strong predisposition
to standard transmissions) ...I have to admit to a tinge of jealousy seeing that stickshift in the foreground of
your photo.

Anyway, I was jazzed with your original post where you describe bringing your truck back to life after it sat in a junk yard
for 16+ years. Good on you, for that truck looks like it has a lot more work to do before it's really time to sideline it.

Your thread reminds me of @Komet's build thread where he successfully brought back a GMT400 that 99% of
folks out there would have passed on the opportunity due to the sheer scale of the mechanical issues to unwind.
If you haven't read his thread yet you might enjoy seeing another owner taking a diamond in the rough and getting
it back on the road and earning it's keep.
(Komet undoes rough Diesel swap with torqueyTPI SBC repower)

Reading/studying the restos in this forum has unexpectedly become one of my favorite pastimes. There's everything
from just basic functional restos (like mine) all the way to the amazing frame off renewals that would easily pass muster on
any new car dealership showroom. And everything in between.

Tip of the hat in your direction for deciding to employ some sweat equity and really knowing your ride instead of just doing
the normal thing and taking on a 84-month loan in order to put some work truck functionality in your driveway.

:waytogo:
Thanks, i keep my wife in a new ride for the peace of mind that comes with dependability and a warranty. I have and don’t mind working on a truck on the side of the road or a parking lot. The beauty of these trucks is the fact that you can work on them if needed. I’m no mechanic, but I was raised in a junkyard and I have done all the repairs that come to be needed on the truck. I really enjoy it, even when the repairs become hard mentally or physically.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, i keep my wife in a new ride for the peace of mind that comes with dependability and a warranty.

I did the same thing with my family. We were living within a strict first time homeowner 1 car payment budget,
so we had one real car for the family, & a 'cash on the barrelhead I'm the last owner' commuter for yours truly.
Worked out well enough that I actually felt like I was beating the system. Think reverse snobbery in motion. :0)

I have and don’t mind working on a truck on the side of the road or a parking lot. The beauty of these trucks is the fact that you can work on them if needed. I’m no mechanic, but I was raised in a junkyard and I have done all the repairs that come to be needed on the truck.

Exactly. I tend to think of these GMT400s as the modern day equivalent of the old Conestoga wagons.
DIY friendly for the vast majority of the vehicle, and providing maximum utility for the buck. I believe that
mobility is a key freedom for someone to make a living/provide for their family, so I find what is shared in
this forum is somewhere between very cool and motivational. Like living in a area surrounded by good
neighbors, we all help each other take care of business as needed if possible. :0)

I really enjoy it, even when the repairs become hard mentally or physically.

Dude, this is exactly the mindset I hope to impart to my grandsons. Being as self-reliant
as possible is not only fun, but it's actually good for you. Approaching life as a victim is
self-defeating. Taking charge of any challenge (like owning a reliable vehicle) builds self-confidence
and helps to develop a solid problem-solving approach to everything else in life.

Lots of words to essentially say that we obviously share the same belief system. And I hope that
your can-do attitude rubs off on others in your sphere of influence...for over the generations this is
what got our country to the place where I thank my lucky stars that I was born here.

Safe travels --

Last edited:

BP Hopkins

Reaction score
There’s already another one in my sights… for my daughter, she’ll be 14 this year so we’ll have a couple of years to get it where I think she needs to be mechanically, then I’ll let her have a heavy hand in the direction she wants to go with it. I’ll be documenting the dragging of the truck out of the bushes in the junkyard and getting it home. Then I’ll probably do a small thread like this one on it.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s already another one in my sights… for my daughter, she’ll be 14 this year so we’ll have a couple of years to get it where I think she needs to be mechanically, then I’ll let her have a heavy hand in the direction she wants to go with it. I’ll be documenting the dragging of the truck out of the bushes in the junkyard and getting it home. Then I’ll probably do a small thread like this one on it.

I was a 'girl dad' blessed with twins, and I made sure to raise them with the perspective that
they could do anything that they wanted. I was sure to emphasize to them that I worked
with female airmen in the Air Force on F-16s, and they did outstanding work in our Avionics shop.

So back when I was building a FFR Cobra replica with my buddy Paul, I made sure to involve them.
(Young ladies taking turns swinging torque wrenches.) And even though they didn't
choose to become career mechanics they still remember that day installing pistons...and then
subsequntly hearing the engine run and taking joy rides with their dad.

So the fact that you and your daughter are going to work together on a vehicle for her to drive
is very, very cool. Make sure and take pics and document the adventure. And let her know that
a young lady that can make things work in the real world is head & shoulders above other young
ladies that only know how to swipe stuff on a screen. Seriously, you are going to give her an
unfair advantage that will last a lifetime, especially in these times. :waytogo: