Best deep muffler for 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe that a cross pipe (H or X) also contributes to scavenging.
I’m under the impression that when using long tube headers the merge point is in a location close enough to the cylinder valves to allow a vacuum effect or scavenging. Further down the exhaust such as an X pipe it’s just too far from the valve to have an effect on the vacuum pulses at the combustion chamber. The X can still help in some cases, I do believe it offers a few HP if placed in the right location however I think the benefit is more the “sharing” of the exhaust pipes volume decreasing the restriction.

Then there is the sound difference between the true dual, x pipe and h pipe options. Some prefer one over the other, myself it’s duals all the way. Others prefer the x, each to thier own. On a street vehicle under 500 Hp it’s more so out sound preference than HP potential. I’m a true dual guy, just a preference and it’s not a limitation as long as the system is sized correctly.

On race cars they normally just run equal length long tube headers to scavenge the exhaust pulses.

joog

Reaction score
My 2 cents on my current set up. I haven't heard anything sound better come from a stock 5.7. No drone, however it is somewhat loud. Cruising with the windows up you can have a perfectly fine conversation with your passengers. With the windows down, not so much. I'm running a K&N CAI (this will change the tone for sure) breathing through Gibson shorty headers into Magnaflow high-flow cats into a custom X pipe into 12" Thrush Glasspacks, split exit diagonally behind the rear wheels. All connected with 2.5" fully welded 304 Stainless. No tips. When you stomp on it, it definitely sounds like you're at the drag strip. Cruising is loud but not unbearable. I like exhaust noise and hate my neighbors.... so I couldn't ask for a better exhaust. It really woke up my suburban.
How is that cold air intake? I hear both sides of it. Stock they’re cold air intake, do you notice any difference positive or negative with the k&n?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On race cars they normally just run equal length long tube headers to scavenge the exhaust pulses.
Back in2008, i took my son to a 3 day weekend of NASCAR racing in PIR (Phoenix International Raceway at the time) and saw this on one of their Craftsman Truck's display. Tri Ys with ginormous exhaust and H pipe! I know they don't do that just for sound quality. :biggrin:
You must be registered for see images attach

BTW, neat rear suspension too.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Back in2008, i took my son to a 3 day weekend of NASCAR racing in PIR (Phoenix International Raceway at the time) and saw this on one of their Craftsman Truck's display. Tri Ys with ginormous exhaust and H pipe! I know they don't do that just for sound quality. :biggrin:

BTW, neat rear suspension too.
What a work of art! Beautiful! I have tri Y headers on my turbo car.