Best air intakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyGuy572

Reaction score
I have found that the stock cold air intake on my 91 works really well. The 0-63 time with the filter hat flipped open was 18 seconds and with it normal was 14.7. Is there a way to get a larger intake hat or feed pipes to maximize this effect for better performance?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My TBI small block air cleaner is highly restrictive on my 1987 G20. Been on the hunt for the much larger 454 G30 air intake duct for over a year to install my 454 Van/RV air cleaner assembly on it. Even with high IATs it is quicker with a 14 x 3 open element.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 0-63 time with the filter hat flipped open was 18 seconds and with it normal was 14.7. Is there a way to get a larger intake hat or feed pipes to maximize this effect for better performance?
What engine? Did you remove the baffle inside the air duct?

How about the tubing that goes inside the fender?
You must be registered for see images attach

I'd almost be willing to bet there's enough flow for a stock 5.7L up to ~4000 RPM.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You either get a taller filter , as there was a desert filter option that was twice as tall. More area meant less per inch restrictions. Or get a filter with less dense, restrictive media. That's where the gauze or K & N , downside is not filtering as effective.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You either get a taller filter , as there was a desert filter option that was twice as tall. More area meant less per inch restrictions. Or get a filter with less dense, restrictive media. That's where the gauze or K & N , downside is not filtering as effective.
The small single snorkel and intake ducting are the restriction over ~200 hp. 454 air cleaner and duct was +10 rwhp on my stock internal L05 making ~200 whp. Went from 198 whp to 208 whp changing the filter housing and ducting. Does not seem like much, but that is like 5% in output.