AC compressor bearing- need some opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CorvairGeek

Reaction score
Definitely change the whole clutch, it isn't a bad job. You can see how the bearing is staked in there. I needed to swap one over to use in a vee-belt application. Not a bad job at all, but you will need the clutch puller and installer. The snap ring is visible with the clutch off. I walked the clutch off with a pair of wrenches. The nut on the main shaft can be removed and pitched. The clutch is a press fit, the nut was deleted later on production units.
If someone has changed yours over to an older, R4 "Heavy" design, it is essentially the same. Just be aware the clutch/pulley assembly is very different (as well as the front of the compressor) last pic.

Attachments

• Delphi.jpg
    Delphi.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Seal2.jpg
    Seal2.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 5
  • GM Heavy R4.jpg
    GM Heavy R4.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 5

SierraK2500

Reaction score
Why is the compressor pulley bearing noisy when the clutch is engaged?
Maybe it’s only when the air is off. It’s been a while since I used the air, I’ll check it out.

Definitely change the whole clutch, it isn't a bad job. You can see how the bearing is staked in there. I needed to swap one over to use in a vee-belt application. Not a bad job at all, but you will need the clutch puller and installer. The snap ring is visible with the clutch off. I walked the clutch off with a pair of wrenches. The nut on the main shaft can be removed and pitched. The clutch is a press fit, the nut was deleted later on production units.
If someone has changed yours over to an older, R4 "Heavy" design, it is essentially the same. Just be aware the clutch/pulley assembly is very different (as well as the front of the compressor) last pic.
Thanks for the pictures and info. Mine looks like the one in your first picture.