98 K1500 motor swap but no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tempimageiu3pe1-png.377371

Looks to me like the bottom three--four threads are damaged. Which probably means the threads in the battery terminal are also damaged.

Several of my vehicles have a bolt-nut-washer arrangement. Bolt with nut and washer get poked through the cable and threaded into the battery finger-tight. Nut and washer then tightened down to secure the cable. Guaranteed full engagement into all the threads of the battery terminal (maximum strength) without ever turning the fastener into the soft, lead terminal under load.
You must be registered for see images attach

Makes connecting jumper cables much easier, too.

The washer just spaces the nut farther out of the plastic cable end, so it's easier to put a wrench on.

Last edited:

rdobirdman

Reaction score
I had similar problems with my 96 K2500 and the side post battery bolts. After it happened one too many times I converted it to a standard top post battery and no problems since

DHud

Reaction score
That's helpful @Schurkey - I'll check the battery threads to make sure I don't have that problem again - and maybe even switch over to your design... Thanks!

Terbob

Reaction score
Schurkey: Thanks! I cranked it without firing to make sure the bearings were lubed before load is put on them… but even now, after plugging everything in, the same result is happening. It won’t even try to fire the motor - just a click, click, dead… back to life 5 mins later… Did I fry something when I unplugged the wire that goes from the distributor to the ignition coil to crack the motor?
My 96 Silverado would crank but not start after having it towed 60 miles.
Turned the key on for 20 minutes then started right up.
The dash lights does sound like a circuit breaker.
Could be ignition switch or the starter not totally grounding.

Wolvrine82

Reaction score
Mine is the same, only 2 terminals to that stud. I highlighted the ground as blue, which is the one I have and actual photo above. I definitely don’t have the #7 ground I highlighted as RED. I am 99.99% sure that is how my 1996 K1500 came as I purchased truck from a Chevrolet Dealership who recently purchased/acquired from original owner with on 46k on it. Virtually everything was original on the truck when purchased.
You must be registered for see images attach
On my 89, that ground strap goes to a stud on the passenger firewall behind the a/c accumulator for the engine to body ground.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 89, that ground strap goes to a stud on the passenger firewall behind the a/c accumulator for the engine to body ground.
There’s 2 ground straps coming off of passenger side frame. One routes up and bolts to passenger side rear head and the other goes straight up and bolts to firewall near heater hoses.

Wolvrine82

Reaction score
There’s 2 ground straps coming off of passenger side frame. One routes up and bolts to passenger side rear head and the other goes straight up and bolts to firewall near heater hoses.
Right. I have those two and I have an additional one (the one extra one in the diagram) which goes from engine block to firewall near heater hose.