1991 no crank no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vvphillips15

Reaction score
So I checked the battery connections and sure enough both cables were loose at the battery so I replaced the terminals and converted them to the top posts. I was pretty optimistic that was my issue but after the repair, still no click at starter. So I started down the control side and one thing I found that was off is I’m getting battery voltage into ignition switch but slightly less voltage out of it. I’m going to replace the switch tomorrow and see what happens.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Battery voltage is 11.9 and at the s terminal while cranking I’m getting 11.6v. Could that be enough to not engage solenoid?
A fully-charged battery should show 12.6--12.8 volts somewhat depending on temperature.

By the time it's down to 12.1 volts, it's half-dead. Your battery at 11.9 volts has only about 40% charge. (Note typo in chart, below. Says 11.09, should be 11.90)

You must be registered for see images

FULLY CHARGE YOUR BATTERY, see what happens.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check to see if you have power at the firewall connections. Last weekend my son's truck wasn't starting and I found there was no power at the terminal board. The factory wire comes off the battery, there's a fusible link, and then the wire runs along the motor, up the firewall, and to the terminal board.

There was a piece of brown electrical tape on the wire that marked it at the factory. The insulation under the electrical tape had deteriorated and the wire corroded through. You couldn't see or feel it from the outside.

I ran a new wire from the fusible link across the fender to the terminal board and it was fixed.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey everyone I have a 1991 k2500 with 5.7l. It will not crank and starter solenoid is not clicking. I tried looking through all the threads I could to try and troubleshoot with any information on here but still can’t figure it out. I’ll just list everything I’ve checked so far. Battery voltage is good. Benched tested starter and it tests good. Load tested negative cable going to intake and load tested positive cable going to starter. I’m getting battery voltage at positive cable at starter. I did notice I’m getting slightly less than battery voltage at the purple solenoid wire at the starter solenoid. Battery voltage is 11.9 and at the s terminal while cranking I’m getting 11.6v. Could that be enough to not engage solenoid?

All lights on dash come on when key is in ignition trying to start. I get good ground while touching starter case. I’m at a loss. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
What was your voltage at the battery?
You should be about 12.6 to 12.8 or so with a good battery .
11.9 is a really dead battery.
Make sure the battery isnt ancient with the sides bulging out and make sure it has enough distilled water in it to cover the battery plates but dont overfill it.
If you have a battery charger.
Put it on slow charge for a couple of days and see if it comes back to life.
Then take it in for a load test.
You cant load test a dead battery.
Chances are that if that battery is more than 5 or 6 years old or if it is dry or case bulged or got frozen its pretty well smoked.
Bench testing a starter only proves that the motor works on its own without having to turn the ring gear or flywheel against the compression of the engine.